Backlights in speedo / tacho

Maestro, SEI-V
ringer

Backlights in speedo / tacho

Post by ringer »

I rode my bike this week for the first time in the dark (though some say I'm always in the dark :lol: ). The instrument backlights seemed very dim - I could barely read the speedo and tacho. Two questions:

1. The bulbs are 12V3W. Can I instead use a 12V5W bulb - would it fit and would the wiring need upgrading? Has anyone else done this?

2. The glass cover on the tacho needs cleaning (inside). Can the top be removed from the tacho to gain access? I tried pulling and unscrewing, but didn't want to force anything and break it.
Nick - 1979 500 Strada
morinisport

Post by morinisport »

1. Might be worth replacing with white LEDs rather than traditional lamps. (I know my charging system would not thank me for loading it up - note to self - really must sort that out!)
2. The bezel ring is rolled over and holds the glass in place - therefor will not unscrew. To get behind the glass you have to sacrifice the bezel ring.
SteveMRC
Site Admin

Post by SteveMRC »

I replaced mine with white leds for the clocks and coloured leds for the other lights.
The clocks are not super bright due to the position of the bulb holders, but can be seen.

The bezel can be carefully prised back with a flat blade just enough to remove the glass. I had some small sun dried white flies in my speedo that were driving me mad. :roll:

A plastic or rubber mallet can be used to hammer the bezel back when finished. If you are very careful it does not show too much :lol:
3potjohn

Post by 3potjohn »

I ried various coloured leds.I found the idiot lights a good colour but too bright,the indicator led had a polarity issue ie only worked in one direction. I used red leds in the instruments.not as bright as the old bulb but i couldnt resist it. I have put the stop tail light back to a standard bulb as the led one was pulsing a little in time with the rear indicators. I checked the earthing points but to no avail.
ringer

Post by ringer »

Thanks for your responses guys. So where did you source your LEDs? Do they fit in the existing bulbholders? Because they are LEDS, is there any additional circuitry needed? What sort of price are we talking about?

John, I had the same problem with indicator warning light only working in one direction. The solution was to connect both indicators to one common feed connection on the bulb, but to also include a diode in each wire. Otherwise you end up with hazard lights! (hope that makes sense)
Nick - 1979 500 Strada
SteveMRC
Site Admin

Post by SteveMRC »

Got my leds from these people - ultraleds

They have since redesigned their site, they used to have a motorcycle section which I can't see now. I just matched the existing bulbs to their photos.
Think they were around £10 delivered. They should last the life of the bike now.
ringer

Post by ringer »

Thanks for the tip about Ultraleds, Steve. I found them very easy to deal with, excellent comms (many emails detailing order progress) and fast delivery. Total cost approx £8.50 including p&p. The bulbs were listed under 'automotive'. I did need to do a google to find the correct 'standard' to order.
The warning lights are very bright - can now see them clearly in daylight. The backlights are a slight improvement, though not much. This is probably due to the design of the instruments rather than the bulbs, and I guess that 30 year old facias are not as 'luminous' as they used to be. They do now have a nice blue hue.
Regarding my question on additional circuitry requirements - each bulb has its own compensating electronics inside the bulb! This means they could simply be used as direct replacements. Easy peasy.
Nick - 1979 500 Strada
SteveMRC
Site Admin

Post by SteveMRC »

Did you get coloured leds for the warning lights ?
I did because I thought the white would be too bright and would wash out the warning light cover making them all look white.

I like the way the bulbs look just like the originals and fit in the holders the same way, no extra work or circuits needed.
ringer

Post by ringer »

I just got 'white' lights for the warning lights. They still appear coloured after showing through the coloured covers. No washout occurring here.

Here is before (with original bulbs)

and here is after with LEDs fitted. Note that glare is a result of camera limitations. In reality lights are nice and bright without glare.

edit: just realised - I had a different set of three warning lights on in the before and after pics. But the improvement is still apparent once you ignore the camera-induced glare.
Nick - 1979 500 Strada