Oil pressure sensor

Maestro, SEI-V
ringer

Oil pressure sensor

Post by ringer »

I want to replace my oil pressure sensor. It works ok but the electrical contact has broken so is a pain to connect to the wiring. I assume it is a pretty standard sensor. Can anyone give me a spec for it so I can buy one locally?
Nick - 1979 500 Strada
SteveMRC
Site Admin

Post by SteveMRC »

I took my old one to a motor factors to match up the threads,
The replacement was a SUPRA SOP58, think it was from a renault or citroen.
I would imagine they are a fairly standard fixture for 70s and 80s european cars.

The pins had to be bent through 90 degrees to fit the Morini wiring.
It's been on for about 20 years now.
morinipete

Oil pressure switch

Post by morinipete »

I'd watch out you get the pressure correct, as switches will be set at all sorts of LB ranges, depending on the engine they were indended for. Unforatunatley I don't know what the pressure should be on a Morini, but do a posting and someone on hte forum will know.

Don't be temped to leave the switch out though. My 500 was super smooth and quiet, but I could just get the warning light fluttering after about 4-5 laps flat out at Cadwell (never on the road). Everyone said "it'll be a faulty switch" as the light always went out immediately after starting up. It wasn't !

I stripped the engine and the big end shells were like spread Dairy Lea ! Increadible condition but you would never have guessed it from the sound, vibration or even oil changes (absolutely nothing in the oil). It's a life saver. I wish I had provision on my 350 (I'll get round to tapping it one day)

Pete