Tapered sleeves for oil seals on reassembly

Maestro, SEI-V
ringer

Tapered sleeves for oil seals on reassembly

Post by ringer »

Have taken off the (clutch) side cover and fitted new oil seals. Am about to refit the side cover. I have a workshop book, written half in Italian and half in English - front cover is missing so I don't know the name of it. The book instructs me to make up some tapered sleeves to fit over the main shaft (where the clutch goes) and the ignition timing shaft. I have rebuilt several engines (not Morini) and always just apply liberal amounts of engine oil on the seal lips and the shaft, but never used a sleeve. Surely using a sleeve to fit the oil seals over will make it harder to fit. How important is it to utilise sleeves like this? Any advice from someone who has performed this operation on a 500 would be appreciated.

Nick
Nick - 1979 500 Strada
EVguru

Post by EVguru »

You can get the side cover on without tapered guides, but the Kickstart mechanism is a real 'Pingphucket' that requires much of your attention.

It's quite easy to catch the seals on the shoulders of the shafts, particularly if they're new and tight and nick them. The tapered sleeves make it easier.

The manual misses out a stage in installing the kickstart. You need to put a whole turn of preload into the spring before engaging the ratchet. If you don't the kickstart won't return properly with the side case in place.
Paul Compton
http://www.morini-mania.co.uk
http://www.youtube.com/user/EVguru
ringer

Post by ringer »

Thanks for the heads-up on the kickstart preload.
I guess I'll just have to be careful with the seals on the shafts.
Plenty of lube and carefully does it!
Nick - 1979 500 Strada
ringer

Post by ringer »

Have refitted the side cover, but am not happy about the small oil seal in the clutch. The inner lip of the seal appears to be sitting on the end face of the steel spacer. The steel spacer (this is the one where you put Hylomar on the gearbox main shaft, then fit the spacer over the shaft) is stepped - with a slightly smaller outside diameter on the outer end. I thought that this smaller OD would fit through the oil seal, so the seal lip sits on the OD of the spacer, not on the end face.
I have fitted the oil seal so the outside face is flush with the inside face of the outer clutch wheel - should it be pushed a couple of mm further in, thus allowing the spacer to push through it by a couple of mm?
Nick - 1979 500 Strada
3potjohn

Post by 3potjohn »

If ever there was a case for posting a detailed replacement of a motorcycle part on youtube then that kickstart mechanism would be the winner. Even beats getting the link back onto a duplex BMW timing chain.
I still have not figured it out except to get the cover nearly on, without it all exploding each time, then turn the shaft until the cam engages properly.
But my clutch does not leak, having done all the seals.I did not use any kind of taper. I do not recall the central sleeve having a shoulder of any kind but i may be wrong. Only ever seen it twice.
TonyH

Protective sleeves

Post by TonyH »

Hi, how things going with rebuild? I actually have a set of protective sleeves for a 350 (not sure if they are the same but can't think why they would be different). When i rebuilt an engine last summer i have to admit they made life a lot easier as they guide the shafts through the seal and prevent any damage to the lips. If you want i can lend you my set? If you want them just drop me a pm.

Cheers, Tony
TonyH

Oh and another thing

Post by TonyH »

Also on the other query have a copy of an article that was in ATG way back about fitting kickstart mechanisms, and have had no problems fitting them in the past using this method. Again if you want i can post you a copy!

Tony
ringer

Post by ringer »

Hi Tony,

The rebuild is going very slowly - but I am making progress. Unfortunately health issues have meant I haven't had the strength/willpower to get on with much until now.
I am going to take the cover off again this week before I tighten it up. The oil seal went over the timing shaft ok, but am definitely not happy about that clutch oil seal sitting on the end of the spacer. Have checked some photos I took during dismantling and I can clearly see the spacer going through the oil seal.
I have been wondering if it may be possible to fit the spacer through the oil seal prior to assembly, then fitting the spacer onto the shaft at the same time as fitting the cover. But then I wouldn't be able to clean up the excess Hylomar that would push out behind the spacer.
Any help/advice on fitting the kickstart would be very welcome. I managed to get it on the once, but didn't reach the point where I can check it went on right. God knows how they used to fit it in the factory - it seemed to me like I was having to guess where it all lined up behind the cover without being able to see a thing.
Nick - 1979 500 Strada
ringer

Post by ringer »

Managed to improvise a taper for the clutch oil seal. Took the plastic grip handle off a trolley jack, it has exactly the right internal diameter to fit on the gearbox mainshaft and not quite the correct external diameter. Used insulation tape to build up the taper so the oil seal lip will be lifted over and onto the stepped spacer.

As you can see - I also managed to fit the kickstart mechanism with the correct preload. The trick to that is seeing how the cam interacts with the spring holder.

And here is the improvised taper after fitting the cover.

The taper is now removed. The stepped spacer can be seen protruding through the oil seal by about 2mm.

Nick - 1979 500 Strada