left hand gearchange conversions

Maestro, SEI-V
Tim

left hand gearchange conversions

Post by Tim »

I've seen mention left hand gearshift changes from time to time and I'd really not have to find out how I'd fair if I had to slam on the anchors in a smidsy situation

does anyone still make them, are they any good/expensive/difficult to fit?
buzby

Re: left hand gearchange conversions

Post by buzby »

I believe they were fitted on the models sold in the USA.
David
75 350 Strada, 76 350 Strada, 76 350 Sport. 80 250 vee, 72 Triumph TR5T and 81 Honda CB250RS
'It must be a .....'

Post by 'It must be a .....' »

Most later off road Morinis and the K2 have left side gear levers, yet the method/linkages are all different
Have a look at the parts books
Might be more complex if you want to use rear sets?
'It must be a .....'

Hi, see attachment
Attachments
501,Camel XE.JPG
501,Camel XE.JPG (141.06 KiB) Viewed 6592 times
lemans

Post by lemans »

the rear brake doesn't do much in an emergency situation, better concentrate on using the front to the max .

recently at the 30K service-interval of my V85TT I was asked if I had ever used the rear brake, "no, only downhill on the hardknott pass"
MickeyMoto

Post by MickeyMoto »

I was also taught that. Compress the forks then apply the front hard. The rear will become unweighted and will lock.
Tim

Post by Tim »

It looks from the Camel diagram as if the left hand change is integral to the frame. Is there any way of leftifying a 500 sport with some type of kit that bolts on?
Steve Brown

Post by Steve Brown »

As you've seen here the Camel and Kanguro are Left footers as standard. They have a crossover tube welded into the frame, close to where the centre stand pivot tube is. As far as I know there are no ready made kits for sale but there were some done either by the factory for various markets/models. The custom variants for instance had a crossover tube bolted below the front engine plates. This was convenient for those bikes as the footrests are positioned well forward.
I think your only option will be to fabricate something to suit your own requirements. I imagine it wouldn't be too difficult to hang something from the area of the lower rear engine mount on your bike?
All donations to the rest home for old Camels, Leicestershire.
'It must be a .....'

Hi, the twin shock 500 Camels have a linkage system on both sides using a cross over shaft/bushed frame tube near the centre stand pivot.
The later 501 Camel/350 Kanguro square frame arrangement is much simpler with less parts
Also see https://www.morini-riders-club.com/foru ... php?t=4928
simonnorthroad

Post by simonnorthroad »

I have all the parts for a LH gearchange conversion looking for a good (or even terrible) home
Al B

Post by Al B »

I have a USA import which had the LH gearchange, plus a box of bits. I can take some pics and/or measure up the cross tube locations if you want.