Electric Starter parts needed

Maestro, SEI-V
Canuck750

Electric Starter parts needed

Post by Canuck750 »

I need one of the cast aluminum legs that the starter clutch shoes are bonded to, I will gladly purchase the one part or a complete electric starter for a 1979 500W if anyone can help.

Thanks
Jim
Steve Brown

Re: Electric Starter parts needed

Post by Steve Brown »

I have a few of those-if you definitely mean the older cast type and not the laminated ones? No idea what post from UK would be.
I found with some used examples of these that the pivot holes were worn, hard to see by eye but easy to detect by rattle! The pivot posts wear too of course.
In the end I bought the new steel laminated shoes as a set and they are a great improvement. Better engagement due to their extra weight and of course unworn pivot holes. They can be had from Mdina and also various European suppliers like Stein Dinse etc.
If you really are desperate I'll post to you.
All donations to the rest home for old Camels, Leicestershire.
Richard

Post by Richard »

I had trouble starting with the old cast type (350 K2) which had newish linings, was OK when cold but wouldn't work when hot but kickstarted straight away. After reading various posts on this forum I bought a set of laminated ones and has been perfect ever since (asking for trouble now!).
Canuck750

Post by Canuck750 »

Thanks Steve

Sorry for taking so long to get back to you, been away most of the summer

This is what my starter show bracket looks like, can you direct me to the link for where they are listed on Mdina Italy? I can't seem to find them there.

Jim
bigred

Post by bigred »

Hi the part number is 20.01.50 and 20.01.50u for secondhand parts. Unfortunately MedinaItalia doesnt seem to have any at the moment but please check for yourself.
There was a complete set on ebay a while ago but they were described differently and I only saw them looking for something else.
Canuck750

Post by Canuck750 »

Thanks for the link!!
Steve Brown

Post by Steve Brown »

Yep, those are the ones you need!
All donations to the rest home for old Camels, Leicestershire.
Neil W

Post by Neil W »

Hi all

Just joined the forum. I’m in Ballarat Australia. Needing assistance with filling my 81 Morini 500 Sei V starter. Just been rebuilt but can’t get the oil in even usually syringe. Any assistance appreciated

Neil
3potjohn

Post by 3potjohn »

I also use a syringe to refill the starter gearbox on my 350.
I have a screw in plug and badly fitting rubber push in plug.
In the Blue book p28 it describes checking the oil level with the motor still in the side cover. I have always done it after removing the motor from the case, remove both plugs and invert to drain.Might need a shake. I then refill ( think its only 25 mL) then refit the screw plug and try reseating the push in plug, which in my case requires a wipe of threebond gasket sealant. Must track down a better one.
The oil can be awkward to get in without glugging out, I suspect due to an air lock.
John
Neil W

Post by Neil W »

Thanks John

You’ve described very well the challenge I’m having. It’s not a lot of oil so I think doing it very slowly and maybe using a dropper from a measured 25 ml may do the job.
Canuck750

Post by Canuck750 »

The replacement Sureflex starter clutch arrived last week from Stein Dinse, looks like it is what I need.
Thanks for directing me to these parts!

3potjohn

Post by 3potjohn »

Those are much more effective than the earlier type, as you should discover.
Fastmongrel

Post by Fastmongrel »

My starter clutch had been slipping for a while before I changed to the laminated clutch arms. The clutch drum had streaks of burnt on clutch friction material on it. I cleaned and polished the surface of the drum with fine wet and dry leaving an even matt surface. Might be an idea to check yours before fitting.
1981 3 1/2 Strada
Canuck750

Post by Canuck750 »

My starter clutch had been slipping for a while before I changed to the laminated clutch arms. The clutch drum had streaks of burnt on clutch friction material on it. I cleaned and polished the surface of the drum with fine wet and dry leaving an even matt surface. Might be an idea to check yours before fitting.

Great idea, I will definitely do that. thanks
Jim