Leaking Clutch Oil Seal

Maestro, SEI-V
JonnyP

Re: Leaking Clutch Oil Seal

Post by JonnyP »

Hi Terry, yes indeed it can be frustrating, but I've managed to resolve this. Primarily, you need to remove the whole clutch casing, and replace the main seal 'on the bench' rather than in situ. Paul Compton has an excellent series of videos on this on YouTube, well worth following (to the letter!)
I used a double lipped viton seal from Simply Bearings (UK) costing around £10. I don't believe that you can replace this seal in any other way - I've tried to do it in situ without success (see my postings earlier in this thread). When replacing the casing, I used 3M flexible masking tape to make 'taper sleeves' on the camshaft and clutch mainshaft to guide their seals into place, and it worked fine. Remember to use plenty of lubricant! Clutch housing seal should be fitted dry (no Hylomar) and remember to clean the locator dowels scrupulously. It's not as difficult as it sounds, so go for it. PS it's worth having a clutch holding tool made up by welding a couple of old clutch plates to a handle. A local machine shop made mine up for £15. Please keep us posted, best of luck!
Last edited by JonnyP on 20 Nov 2023 11:57, edited 2 times in total.
72degrees

Post by 72degrees »

My special clutch holding tool is an old driven plate with a length of steel bar attached by two set screws and nuts. You need a very sharp drill bit!
It doesn't engage fully on the drum splines as the 'handle' gets in the wav but it has never failed me.
JonnyP

Post by JonnyP »

My local machine shop simply tack-welded a couple of old clutch plates together on the outer periphery, then welded a handle on. Took him all of 30 minutes!
72degrees

Post by 72degrees »

JonnyP wrote: 20 Nov 2023 11:54 My local machine shop simply tack-welded a couple of old clutch plates together on the outer periphery, then welded a handle on. Took him all of 30 minutes!
Yeah, but he charged £15 :wink:
3potjohn

Post by 3potjohn »

A cut down white nozzle from a mastic tube makes excellent sleeving for seal protection, in this instance the camshaft and mainshaft for almost zero cost and are resusable.