500 W reg / rec help needed

Maestro, SEI-V
Canuck750

500 W reg / rec help needed

Post by Canuck750 »

I mistaklenly posted this on the parts wanted section

I have been having an on and off struggle with getting a regulator / rectifier to work. Last year I had the stator rewound by Westcounty Windings, just the 5 charging coils and not the ignition coil. I have converted the bike to Sasche Ignition. I had installed a reg/rec from Rick's Moto Electirc n the USA that is advertised as working on a Ducat single phase stator (I have the same unit in my 1975 Ducati 860 GT with Sasche ignition). The reg/rec worked for a while but now its not putting out anything on the DC side.

The Morini 500 with the 5 charging coils has two wires coming out (as discussed with Westcounty Windings this was all I that is needed). At 5000 rpm the stator is putting out about 60 volts AC from the two wires coming from the stator coils.

I just bought a new Ducati 2 wire reg/rec from Mdina Italy and hooked it up as I figure is correct: the two wires from the stator (my stator has one yellow and one red from the coils) connected to the two G terminals on the reg/rec. A brown jumper wire from reg/rec R+B terminal to fuse box brown wire terminal and a ground wire from the reg/rec body to engine ground.

I am not getting anything above the 12.4 volts of the fully charged battery at idle or up to 5000 rpm. So in effect I am not getting anything out of the reg/rec in DC voltage.

I must have something not connected properly, any help much appreciated

mbmm350s

Re: 500 W reg / rec help needed

Post by mbmm350s »

Hi

These notes apply only to single phase stator and regulator!

The R/B+ connection goes to the Battery via fusebox (usually)
R/B+ Rosso/Batterie +
Do not connect the Red from your stator to this point.

This regulator requires a switched live to function.
The fuse-box brown goes to a terminal on the regulator.
How this is called depends on the exact regulator type,
but its often denoted "C" as in your case which I take to mean control.

Yellow wires go to (G) Giallo

hope that helps

I think your bike originally had the two phase stator and its been converted to single phase.
Odd that they used the red and not the two yellows which would have been more obvious.

Mark
Canuck750

Post by Canuck750 »

Thank you Mark!

I will give that a try.

Is it possible I ruined the reg/rec by not connecting it properly?

I had the brown from fuse box to R+B on the reg/rec and I ran a red from the reg/red R+B to the red on the fuse box as well. I hope I didn;t fry the brand new reg/rec!
Canuck750

Post by Canuck750 »

Still got nothing, I think I fried the new reg/rec.....
mbmm350s

Post by mbmm350s »

Hi,

Something doesn't add up here. The brown is just a switched live, i.e. when switch is on its connected to the red anyway.

So if you connected the red fusebox to the brown (C) terminal as well as to the red (B+) it would still work.
(but the battery would slowly discharge through the control circuit of the regulator)

If however you connected the red stator wire to the brown then yes that would probably kill the regulator.

Since the way that the winding has been done on the stator the red wire in your case should act like a yellow.
This is confusing, I would put some yellow tape or yellow heatshrink tube as is done by domestic electricians in the UK
to indicate that the function has been redefined.

Are you certain this is a two wire (single phase regulator) the 500 single phase 18A is 46.05.45

Mark
Canuck750

Post by Canuck750 »

Thanks gain Mark!

The regulator was advertised by Mdina Italy as a Moto Morini single phase unit.

The identification on the regulator is Ducati 8809 12V 13A and there is a number stamped on it 343142
The terminals are marked: C - R+B - G -G

I am heading to Italy tomorrow for a couple weeks, will get back onto the Morini when I get back.

Tom

Post by Tom »

How did this story continue?

How i would have plugged it in your case (and of course after reading the previous comments):

Yellow wire to 'G'
Red wire (a mocked up Yellow wire from stator i suppose?) to 'G'
Brown from fusebox brown section to 'C'

R/ B+ no wiring at all

I guess the real problem is you having to find out if there is a genuine RED functioning wire from the stator going into the red section of the FUSEBOX (with is linked to Battery +, and the red wire from the main switch)?

Or did they use a different color for it?

If my memory doesn't fail me, the later stators from the 80's had different coloring of the wire's: one red, one green, one brown and one white, no yellow at all.

Maybe your stator is a Hybrid of different models (nahhhh) or someone/ somebody messed with the colors...

Things can get confusing if all sort of parts and colors fall out of tune
Canuck750

Post by Canuck750 »

I finally got back to the Morini, been building a Motobi Sprite 200 and an Aermacchi Ala Verde this winter, will get onto the Morini this month and get the charging sorted out, thank you for your instructions.

Jim