Where should my VIN number be on the frame please?

Maestro, SEI-V
Manda

Where should my VIN number be on the frame please?

Post by Manda »

Hi, I have a 1979 Maestro. It's VIN number seems to have disappeared off the frame, it appears to have been lost in a repaint before I bought it. Whereabouts should it be please?
Any suggestions of anyone in the Oxfordshire area who could restamp it?
MickeyMoto

Re: Where should my VIN number be on the frame please?

Post by MickeyMoto »

It is at the rear of the engine, on the flat plate in front of the battery box. Powder coating will fill it in a bit. You could try placing a piece of paper over the plate and rubbing a crayon over it.
morini_tom

Post by morini_tom »

As Mickey says, easy to lose the detail in thick paint, they weren’t the deepest stampings.

After such a powdercoating experience I used paint stripper to completely remove the paint from the VIN plate and then repainted the plate by hand using a good quality coach enamel. The numbers are now easy to read and it’s not too obvious that area is painted differently to the rest.

I would definitely not be recommending re stamping. Even if you are certain of the bikes history, re stamping will only raise questions in the future.
mbmm350s

Post by mbmm350s »

Hi Manda

These bikes pre date VIN in the UK, so be careful as to what may have already been recorded as the VIN, especially on any NOVA declaration.
UK bikes when first registered may or may not have included the frame prefix which in this case is W.
For 500s the frame number will be between 03001 and 05XXX
The other long alpha/numeric is the frame homologation number do not record that.

Cheers
Mark