Rear caliper seals k1 k2

Maestro, SEI-V
morini_tom

Rear caliper seals k1 k2

Post by morini_tom »

Copied to the 500 forum as more 500s had a rear disc brake than 350s!

Has anyone found a decent UK source of rear caliper seals?

Mdina are out of stock and I’d like to get the bubbling rear caliper on my k1 rebuilt before it’s on the club stand at Shepton mallet.

Piston diameter looks to be 32mm although I don’t want to strip the caliper until I know I can get new seals so I am not 100% sure what I actually need.

The Ariete catalogue lists 12865PI for the K2 but can’t find anywhere in the UK who stock them. There are a couple of places on eBay Italy but I was hoping to avoid long shipping times and expensive import.

There are numerous scooter shops selling cheap overhaul kits for 32x16mm pistons but the pistons all seem to look steeped for a dust seal which doesn’t look like what I’ve got (I don’t think). Plus with brakes, cheap is not best.

Any recommendations gratefully received.
huub

Re: Rear caliper seals k1 k2

Post by huub »

if you run out of sources,
i run homemade stainless brake pistons with EPDM o-rings for seals in my morini's , has been working fine for years.
if you have the ariete number , any motorcycle/scooter shop should be able to order the kits for you.
morini_tom

Post by morini_tom »

Thanks for the suggestion, definitely worth keeping in mind.

For now, panic over- seals are back in stock at Mdina already. Great service from Doug again 👍
norbert

Post by norbert »

The design of the pistons for the 500 rear brake changed a bit. So dust seals of the older pistons don´t work anymore, so you have to order new dustseals as well. At least this is what I experienced this winter rebuilding one of these breaks. The Mdina pistons arer still of the old design?
Steve Brown

Post by Steve Brown »

Has anyone re-sealed a rear brake master cylinder? I have searched for it on here but didn't find anything.
I have two here in bits and at least by my amateur measuring the piston/bore size is 1/2".
I'm going to ring Mdina in the morning to ask as I can't see them listed there.

Looks like I might be in business. Doug at Mdina has what we think may be the answer. Stocks are very low but he is about to order some more.
All donations to the rest home for old Camels, Leicestershire.