Clutch locking tool and seal size

Maestro, SEI-V
Tim

Clutch locking tool and seal size

Post by Tim »

Hi folks

I’m slowly getting to grips with my 500 sei which has stood waiting patiently for my attention for far too long. Currently addressing some oil leaks in the clutch housing and have a few questions.

I’m wanting to get hold of a clutch locking tool but Mdina are out of stock and I don’t have any old plates to make one. Any ideas? I notice there are loads on eBay for other Italian marques and old Brit iron - are there any that fit the 500?

Also any useful tips for making cone shaped hats that help ease the oil seals over the end of the camshaft and clutch/main shaft when you don’t have access to a lathe?

Finally the seal set I ordered from Mdina didn’t include the little clutch pushrod seal - does anyone have the sizes for the seal or alternative fitments?

Grateful for any help/guidance

Tim
morini_tom

Re: Clutch locking tool and seal size

Post by morini_tom »

Hi Tim,

Les Madge had a clutch holding tool for sale at the Morini club rally just gone. You could try emailing him, maybe he would post it to you. Try his club email address: devon@morini-riders-club.com

Regarding the oil seals, having some turned is ideal but whenever I'm stuck I make a cone from some flexible plastic rolled up (cut up ice cream container lid or something), or some electrical tape. That in conjunction with sufficient oil and care normally does the trick.
Tim

Post by Tim »

Thanks Tom - very useful - I’ll ping an email over to Les
3potjohn

Post by 3potjohn »

For smaller o rings the white nozzle from a mastic tube can work well.
John
mbmm350s

Post by mbmm350s »

Hi Tim,
For the clutch tool (and other special tools)
you can try Tim Ralph
http://www.ralphrestorations.co.uk/view.asp?g=68

The clutch pushrod seal 23.02.19 is available from Mdina Italia

Cheers
Mark
jfh

Post by jfh »

I use a Motion Pro clutch holding tool.
It’s ajustable so will fit other bikes.
themoudie

Post by themoudie »

Morning Tim,

As jfh says, this tool does the job of holding toothed sprockets, clutch centres and alternator/generator rotors. A couple of spot welds over the swaged ends of the pins doesn't go amiss. I also use mine on Ducati singles for locking up the crankshaft when putting 60 ft/lb torque on the alternator rotor nut.

I have a homemade, pivoting arm type as well, but find the clamping, "Mole Grip" type easier to use.

M&P, Swansea is where I obtained mine from. eBay link: Mole-Grip_type_clutch_holder

Good health, Bill
Last edited by themoudie on 28 Sep 2021 22:13, edited 1 time in total.
Tim

Post by Tim »

Thanks for all the responses- I am buying a clutch holding tool from another club member and the ideas for ensuring I don’t wreck the oil seals on reassembly were extremely helpful
Tim