Newbie question

Maestro, SEI-V
Stevie B

Newbie question

Post by Stevie B »

Hi guys,

I’m new to the forum, recently bought a 1980 500, I’m wanting to change the oil (although it looks like new on the dip stick) just to satisfy myself there’s no bits floating around inside. Having delved into researching oils for older engines I realise this isn’t as simple a decision as I thought, so my question is, what do you use, manufacturer, grade, mineral or semi synth and should I use an oil with zinc additives?
I thought the internet would be helpful, it only made me confused and indecisive!

Sorry if this has been hashed before, I have seen a similar question posed about the 350 in which Paul Compton recommended ( if I remember correctly) 10w40 semi synth but wasn’t sure if this would apply to the 500.

Regards
Steve.
hendre

Re: Newbie question

Post by hendre »

same goed for the 500, in the days they both used Castrol GTX
Stevie B

Post by Stevie B »

Thanks Hendre for the response, as I’m only intending to ride in summer I was wondering if a semi synthetic 20/50 might be the way to go, my thinking being that it might maintain better oil pressure especially when cold?
Any one else out there have differing opinions or do you all use 10/40?
harrymuffin

Post by harrymuffin »

Owing to the flat tappets, you should use a high ZDDP oil or simply high zinc content. I personnally use Valvoline VR1 10-60 as it is a racing oil has high pre catalytic converter wokeiness and has most importantly a high viscosity index. It is a semi synthetic but they also do a standard 20-50, cheaper with the same attributes. I also use this stuff in a collection of expensive proper car engines.
Stevie B

Post by Stevie B »

Hi Harry

Thanks for your input, you’re confirming my thoughts, including using an oil with ZDDP.
Anyone else have any thoughts/ advice?
hendre

Post by hendre »

20W50 or 10W40 depends on the climate/seasons you are driving in. If you only ride on hot summer days in a region with mediteranian-like climat I would use 20W50. If you drive year around in a moderate temperatures I would use 10W40, that is what I use in the Netherlands (if summer do not change to medetaranian temperatures permanently :mrgreen: )
Steve Brown

Post by Steve Brown »

A semi synthetic 10W40 or 20W50 is fine in either engine. I have both and now buy oil in large containers to feed them all the same 10W40. I used to use 20W50 in the first 15 years when my bike was new. It was never to thick to kickstart in even extremely cold weather. I thought I was doing the right thing as they came with a GTX sticker on the tank so..and I never sought out special oils with zinc and I've never worn a tappet out or owned a car that was anything to brag about.
10W40 will get round the engine faster from a cold start (pretty marginal though, that one) but really it's a do what you prefer thing!
Now, more urgent is the question-do you have the correct shade of red? The one that there is no code for?
I'm not far from you and may see you at the Warwickshire meetings and I am a qualified rivet counter, and official points scorer for the world Morini originality fetish group. I will be checking!
All donations to the rest home for old Camels, Leicestershire.
Stevie B

Post by Stevie B »

Hi Hendre & Steve.
Appreciate you guys answering, I have gone for 20/50 semi synth with added Zinc ( can’t hurt, can it!)

Hendre, according to the in-laws you’ve had decent weather, wish we could have some here, sometimes this Island has it’s disadvantages :cry:

Steve, you definitely will want to avert your eyes, or I’ll have to do my best PC plod impression (“Move along, nothing to see here”)

I’m hoping to be there on the 12th but probably not on the Morini, I had my first ride yesterday and she wasn’t running right, I think I need to look at a few things, carb synchronising being one of them but I hope to meet up, I have so many questions!
EVguru

Post by EVguru »

The "Blue Book" workshop manual lists Castrol RS full synthetic as an alternative to GTX, but with an extended service interval.

All the late handbooks list Agip Sint 2000, which is a 10w40 semi.
Paul Compton
http://www.morini-mania.co.uk
http://www.youtube.com/user/EVguru
MickeyMoto

Post by MickeyMoto »

Stevie B wrote: 06 Jul 2021 17:18
Hendre, according to the in-laws you’ve had decent weather, wish we could have some here, sometimes this Island has it’s disadvantages :cry:

Yes, the biggest disadvantage being the BBC thinks that the Island stops in the 'South'. Been a lovely six weeks up here. I have a lovely tan, thanks! Little rain, plenty of sunshine, great riding weather. Done over 5,000 miles on my bikes since March! :)