Armours Silencers

Maestro, SEI-V
JonnyP

Armours Silencers

Post by JonnyP »

I've just returned a second set of silencers back to Armours. The first set had bad welding around the exit tube with no attempt to smarten it up by dressing. The ends were also left unpolished, at odds with the mirror polished sides. They sent me a second set (or maybe it was the first ones again after an attempt at tidying them up) marginally better but still unacceptable. They are now refunding me. I'll try Keihan next.
holeinthehead

Re: Armours Silencers

Post by holeinthehead »

Thanks, good to know - I just requested an invoice from them, but was trying to call before paying. Morini pipes seem like an outlier from their offering, wanted to see if they were making them to order..?

Did you order from Keihan yet? Would love to learn from your experience :)

edit: just reread - are you just talking about the silencers, or headers as well?
3potjohn

Post by 3potjohn »

We BMW types generally have Keihans fitted and would say they are seamless in operation
but then my beemer has Breakwell and Green silencers and these do not have any seams visible.Nor indeed can you still get them.
Do let us know how you get on,my black chrome ones are beginning to pickle.
John
harrymuffin

Post by harrymuffin »

Try Keihan in Redditch, their silencers and exhaust systems are much better made with welding seams paticularly neat, with no after dressing needed. You can if you ask see your system being made.
Canuck750

Post by Canuck750 »

I bought a complete set of headers and mufflers from Armours lateley, they even adjsuted the rear cylinder header heat shield welded nut for the shorter heat shield I made up. It only took about three weeks to get them to me in Canada, I am pretty pleased with the setup.

George 350

Post by George 350 »

Armours:
I have a pair of 'Norton Goldstar' (their description) amplifiers, sorry silencers on my Norton and they seem well made with no dodgy welding or polishing evident. Had to make up new hanger brackets as they fit the mounting bosses at different centre distances than Norton have though. Apart from being a bit anti social I like them.9/10
The Armours 'Morini headers' I have look well made, but when new you have a choice of either a perfect fit at the heads but balance pipe doesn't line up by around 4-5mm, or vice versa. When 'assembled', I then had to 'persuade' the silencers to exit at the same height each side. 5/10 could easily be 9/10 if they tried just a little bit harder. This is a common complaint regarding Armours pipes on many other makes too. Makes you think they used to supply Meriden with headers as Triumphs were well known for wonky exhausts back in the day!
George
350 sport 1978, 350 Strada 1978
650 Norton 1967, 650 Kawasaki 1977 and 650 Enfield 2019
JonnyP

Post by JonnyP »

I did order a pair of silencers from Keihan following the disappointment with the Armours items. The Keihan service was very good and quality much better than Armours. However, the silencers they sent me were shorter in length and marginally smaller in diameter than my originals. They just didn't look 'right' so I returned them for refund, which was no issue with Keihan. I've ended up having my original Sito silencers black ceramic coated, since they were in fairly good condition anyway.
morinipete

Post by morinipete »

It may be luck of the draw as I've had Armours down pipes on my 500 for years and they are superb. They're a real tight fit and I've had a front exhaust nut come off twice without even noticing, they're so snug a fit. What is worth noting is the silencers however. I bought a pair of these at the time too. They looked good and were loud but must have knocked 10mph off the top speed. I reluctantly got a pair of NLM stainless silencers as an alternative - as that's all that was available back then - and though I didn't like the stubbier shape and brushed steel look, they were a revelation in terms of performance, letting the bike run smooth well into the red. Anyway just my two pennyworth. Pete
3potjohn

Post by 3potjohn »

Hi my Sitos extend to the edge of the rear tyre pretty much. How much shorter were the Keihans? The acid test of course is impact on performance, with appearance a good second.
I have wondered as to the merits and indeed cost of ceramic coating because knowing my luck I’ll scratch it.
John
simonnorthroad

Post by simonnorthroad »

Its actually very difficult to scratch ceramic/Cerakote finishes. Remarkably tough
pev999

Post by pev999 »

I have an Armours exhaust system on my 500 Sei-V. It fits well and looks good but is too damn LOUD!
Are there alternative silencers. maybe Keihan, which would be much quieter? I did think of trying to fit mutes but was told this was a bad idea - has anybody tried them? I'm not bothered about performance, the bike is more than fast enough for me but the constant loud roar just spoils an otherwise excellent ride. Any suggestions welcome.
simonnorthroad

Post by simonnorthroad »

Morinis need back pressure to run well, an exhaust manufacturer once told me (though I appreciate this is a complex subject, and fully expect Harry Muffin to provide the accurate facts any minute on here!) so Id have thought mutes would be fine, if not a good thing
Neadethal

Post by Neadethal »

Just like to refresh this thread.

Am thinking of designing my own pipes for my 500 as had to cut the pipes off due to stuck castellated nuts. I use the Graham Bell book quite a bit to design my pipes, usually 2 stroke.
Is it back pressure or tuned length that is critical to a Morini. Bit like the sleeves fitted to the inlets to speed up cylinder filling, is it reflected exhaust pulses assisting fresh charge filling that gives performance or loses it over other exhaust systems. In 2 stroke terms you design the reverse cone to reflect the pulse and the size of the stinger pipe controls the strength and also the exhaust temperature.

Anyone whose raced a Morini, would be keen to hear your views. Is a balance pipe essential or just smooths things out.