1979 500 W stator needed

Maestro, SEI-V
Canuck750

1979 500 W stator needed

Post by Canuck750 »

I need a replacement stator for my 1979 Moto Morini 500, I had sent the original out to be rewound and the shop closed down leaving with a bare stripped stator body, all the wires removed from the coils and no notes on how to rewind it! Same for my Moto Morini 3 1/2 (1975) but I think I found a replacement for it.

I am also going to convert the 500's ignition to a Sasche unit with Dyna mini coils so I think the condition of the ignition coil is irrelevant. I have fitted a stator off another Morini but I don't know if it is compatible to the 500, I have read there are many types of stators, pickups and transducers so I may have a mismatched stator in the bike, bike has intermittent spark, a real PITA and I am just tired of the bike's ignition woes. I realize I still need a good stator with a strong 12v set of coils to charge the battery and provide the battery to coil ignition the Sasche unit will require. I will gladly hand over the used transducers and pick up to anyone who can provide a good stator for the electric start 500W series bike.

If anyone can help please email me: jcarey@br2architecture.com

I am in Canada

Thanks
Jim Carey
mbmm350s

Re: 1979 500 W stator needed

Post by mbmm350s »

Hi Jim

The majority of the production run of the 500W roadsters (not camels) had the two wire single phase stator (Yellow(ac) ,Yellow(ac), Green (ignition), White(earth) and a compatible single phase regulator. Some very early 500s had the same system as 350s. The 500 stator is higher power output and at slighly lower rpm than early 350

The lighting coils are wound in the same directions (but not same number of turns or gauge of wire) as the early 350 roadster stators, later 350 roadster stators i believe are wound the same as 500. Later stators have a thicker laminated core and the overvoltage/heatsink clamp is rivetted onto the backplate.

The 350 regulator was in 1970/80s much cheaper than the 500 regulator.

The 350 has the centre tap red and we call this a two phase or three wire generator. This was fitted with a different regulator. However you can simply leave the red wire unconnected and connect the two yellows to the single phase regulator. Do not connect the red to anything, just insulate. What does this mean, it means that you can use the 350 stator on a 500 with the 500 regulator (providing you don't overload with extra high wattage lights)

Its better to use a later E start 350 stator if you cant source a 500 one, not a kanguro one (its completely different)
For what its worth a 250-2C stator is identical to early 350 stator, even though its 6V system.

The winding details for 350 early type are here:
http://www.motomoriniclub.nl/altschem.pdf

The later type have thicker gauge but any reputable winding shop should be able to understand the drawing and recreate.
In the UK I would think they could do it without the drawing from their own records as they see hundreds of ducati stators.
Convert (subject to local regulations) to Led lights you will have ample power for the Sachse Ignition
Stators_resized.png
Stators_resized.png (245.77 KiB) Viewed 5706 times
left is 500, right is early 350, sorry not for sale.
PM me if you want high res pictures of the 500 one.
Mark
Canuck750

Post by Canuck750 »

Thanks Mark,

I will use the replacement stator I got off Ebay, it is a 12v system with a white ground wire, no idea if its off a 3-1/2 or 500. Hopefully the 5 charging coils are OK, so l hopefully I can get the bike to run with the Sasche ignition.

For my 1975 3-1/2 Strada I am out of luck on that one as well, all I have is the bare stator plate and the plastic bobbins for the coils. Before I knew any better I bought a 3 1/2 Camel stator with the 6v coils, useless to me. I may just bite the bullet for the 3 1/2 and fit a Sasche system in it as well but I still need a stator to charge the battery.

Do you have a shop you would recommend for getting a stator rewound?
AntietamClassicCycle

Post by AntietamClassicCycle »

Canuck750 wrote:Thanks Mark,

I will use the replacement stator I got off Ebay, it is a 12v system with a white ground wire, no idea if its off a 3-1/2 or 500. Hopefully the 5 charging coils are OK, so l hopefully I can get the bike to run with the Sasche ignition.

For my 1975 3-1/2 Strada I am out of luck on that one as well, all I have is the bare stator plate and the plastic bobbins for the coils. Before I knew any better I bought a 3 1/2 Camel stator with the 6v coils, useless to me. I may just bite the bullet for the 3 1/2 and fit a Sasche system in it as well but I still need a stator to charge the battery.

Hermy can't help, Jim? You might try checking with Rick's Motorsport Electrics https://ricksmotorsportelectrics.com/ They do custom rewinds.
mbmm350s

Post by mbmm350s »

Hi
Great that you got a good stator.
If it has only yellow and no red then it is a single phase and correct for 500.
You can rewind the 350 stator according to the dia gram I linked previously. A good shop can do it so all is not lost.
The 6V stator can be rewired without unwinding all the bobbins to make it 12V there is a recent post about this in the off road section. If you can use a soldering iron then you can do it.
Mark
Canuck750

Post by Canuck750 »

AntietamClassicCycle wrote:
Canuck750 wrote:Thanks Mark,

Hermy can't help, Jim? You might try checking with Rick's Motorsport Electrics https://ricksmotorsportelectrics.com/ They do custom rewinds.
Hermy does not have a complete stator, the individual coils are pretty expensive, I did buy parts for a 500 but I think its still not right, a friend who is a retired electrical circuit board builder soldered the coils up for me but we suspect he may have one wired backwards, I found a diagram on line for the wiring and windings for the 12v system.

Same Netherlands site had a link to a fellow in Germany, turns out he is retired but new owner got back to me "Tremezzo'

info@tremezzo.de

They are able to supply me a complete and tested stator for my 3 1/2 Strada for a very reasonable cost.
Canuck750

Post by Canuck750 »

mbmm350s wrote:Hi
Great that you got a good stator.
If it has only yellow and no red then it is a single phase and correct for 500.
You can rewind the 350 stator according to the dia gram I linked previously. A good shop can do it so all is not lost.
The 6V stator can be rewired without unwinding all the bobbins to make it 12V there is a recent post about this in the off road section. If you can use a soldering iron then you can do it.
Mark
Thanks again, I am going to give a try at winding the 5 coils on the 6V system to make a 12V system.

Jim
Canuck750

Post by Canuck750 »

I sent two Moto Morini stators to Westcountry Windings about a month ago, expedite shipped from Canada, I was contacted by them a week later when the components arrived at their shop and they had a look at them, assured me they could rewind them both without replacing the ignition coil as I ahve switched to a new electronic igntion / battery / coils. I had the steel frame and the plasstic bobbins, everything else stripped clean.

Great communication and they got them back to me in a couple weeks, all restored, fantastic service!!! 300 pounds for the pair which included the shipping, I had given up on finding anyone in Canada who would take this on, so thankful that these specialty shops still exist, saved my two Morini's!
3potjohn

Post by 3potjohn »

That looks like a proper job, as they say in Devon. Interestingly (Well it is for me) I had to obtain a template stencil for a BMW seat roundel from Canada.
It always amuses me that Westcountry Windings are in fact in the east. I used to deal with Thames Genelink who moved to Clwyd but retained the name so guess it is similar.
John