R/H side cover needed

Maestro, SEI-V
happy666

R/H side cover needed

Post by happy666 »

Hi. all. I bought a 500 sport last summer and love it. Just had an issue im hope that some one out there can help with. lost the chain on the starter and it cracked the RH cover part #11.02.21 and striped the sprocket assembly Part #11.03.24

I completely took the starter and the assembly out so i can ride it with just the kick but would love to get the electric start going and to have a cover with no holes. Any one know where i can get a new RH cover?
Attachments
side cover1.jpg
side cover1.jpg (429.86 KiB) Viewed 10138 times
3potjohn

Re: R/H side cover needed

Post by 3potjohn »

That looks horrible. Was the chain slack or did a link come off? Let’s hope someone has a spare case, or you will have to check Medina Italia, eBay de where there are some for €€. At least the crankcase was not damaged.
Whether or not it could be repaired by weld or aluminium epoxy I don’t know.
That is now something I can worry about happening on mine. Only had a chain break on a pushbike, on a steep hill, whereupon I struck a recumbent posture with some surprise.
John
EVguru

Post by EVguru »

I should have most or all of the parts you need.
Paul Compton
http://www.morini-mania.co.uk
http://www.youtube.com/user/EVguru
Kmac

Post by Kmac »

I am also in need of a R/H side cover as the flywheel nut came undone yesterday and pushed the starter unit spiting the cover.
The Ebay seller from Germany had one listed but when I purchased it turned out the item was no longer available.
Keefe
Kmac

Post by Kmac »

I have decided to weld repair the side case. I also need the stater sprocket, I did order the one listed on the MDINA site 12.04.32 but unfortunately this is not the correct one.
Would anyone know the correct part number for the sprocket assembly with the 3 shafts for the starter shoes and if they are still available.
Keefe
Attachments
Sprocket.jpg
Sprocket.jpg (62.88 KiB) Viewed 8560 times
EVguru

Post by EVguru »

Yes, it does help if you have the parts listings for your model, many of which are in the members area of the club website.

The part number for the pre cush drive starter sprocket is 11.03.24

Herdan appear to have them in stock.

Your missing teeth could be welded up and re-cut.
Paul Compton
Kmac

Post by Kmac »

Thank you Paul.
I am fairly new to Morini ownership and was not aware of Herdan.
Yes a parts catalog maybe should have been my first purchase.
Keefe
harrymuffin

Post by harrymuffin »

Regards to your woes with the electric start, I have no idea where the cush drive mechanism is, the only cush drive is in the back sprocket. I have the carriage for the gear and pins and a set of shoes with springs and a chain and the 'splash proof partition' and a cam I think from a 5speed 500, the shoes are the heavy ones but do need to be relined. This lot is surplus to requirements and if you want them PM me and you can have them and I will tell you where to get the shoes relined and how to fit them. I would suggest whilst you are refurbishing to replace the spindle bearings that the chain rotates an, they are 6001, 2 needed and would suggest have the 2rs sealed bearings. Owing to there use buy the sheapest chink ones at around a £1.50 - 6001-2RS each they should last the distance, I know that as I am just referbishing a complete starter motor set up. It probably won't make a lot of diffwrence but warm the casing up before removeing as there should be a tightish fit even though a circlip is also fitted.
Kmac

Post by Kmac »

Thank you for the advice and kind offer. The starter system is in good condition (apart from the recent damage) having been overhauled by the previous owner. The re-torque of the flywheel nut may have been missed when the cam belt was replaced.
I am going to try Paul’s suggestion and added weld to the missing teeth and recut as the sprocket appears to be an alloy.
I’ll post an update next week, this is the current damage to the casing.
Attachments
E2938C37-EAFD-4B2F-B73F-F9064808E512.jpeg
E2938C37-EAFD-4B2F-B73F-F9064808E512.jpeg (28.02 KiB) Viewed 8485 times
43B6CA39-7527-4B7F-AB00-064787AC055B.jpeg
43B6CA39-7527-4B7F-AB00-064787AC055B.jpeg (22.09 KiB) Viewed 8485 times
harrymuffin

Post by harrymuffin »

Blind leading the blind then. I was letting you have this lot for nothing! I will put it back into the scrap bin.
Steve Brown

Post by Steve Brown »

harrymuffin wrote:Blind leading the blind then. I was letting you have this lot for nothing! I will put it back into the scrap bin.
Oh don't do that! These bits are starting to be in demand again. For years the scrap bin was the right place but now we all recognise the brilliant piece of make do and mend engineering that this starter system represents. Either that or we're all just getting on a bit. I'm sure someone will take you up on your genuinely very kind offer. If nobody whose need is greater speaks up it might even be me.
I've never seen the starter with the cush drive incorporated either, but it does seem to have been a thing on later bikes. Maybe it doesn't fit the previous bikes? I dunno that either.
All donations to the rest home for old Camels, Leicestershire.
mbmm350s

Post by mbmm350s »

Just for clarity - in case anyone comes along to rebuild a later starter motor.

The 501 camel XE (last series) and Kanguru X3, and excalibur 350 too? (built under Cagiva ownership) had the sprocket with rubbers - cush drive if you like.
So kmac the sprocket you bought was for that assembly.

Mark
EVguru

Post by EVguru »

A cush drive was incorporated into the Excalibur starters prior to the switch to Kokusan ignition and front mounted gear drive starter. I've also found it on a late 500 Sei and may well have been used on other models. The assembly just fits in place of the original sprocket.

Here's an image taken from one of my microfiches.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/KYg8ZB82aDFSw1G16
Paul Compton
Kmac

Post by Kmac »

I am sorry I didn’t mean to offend anybody and I apologise for hijacking the original post. I have spoken to the part supplier who has agreed I can return the incorrect part.
Kmac

Post by Kmac »

Final update, I repaired the starter sprocket as suggested by Paul, building up the broken teeth with weld and re-cutting. Welded the side casing inside and out, painted and back on the bike. Thank you all for the advice.
Keefe
Attachments
Painted.jpg
Painted.jpg (100.01 KiB) Viewed 8259 times
Sprocket 5.jpg
Sprocket 5.jpg (59.33 KiB) Viewed 8259 times
Case 7.jpg
Case 7.jpg (90.49 KiB) Viewed 8259 times