Steering Lock & Seat Lock

Maestro, SEI-V
ringer

Steering Lock & Seat Lock

Post by ringer »

I have the ignition key but it doesn't fit the steering lock or the seat lock. Are they usually operated by different keys? Is it possible to determine the key reqd or do I need to purchase (if available!) new locks? Presumably the only way of removing the locks is to drill out the fixing rivet.

Nick
SteveMRC
Site Admin

Post by SteveMRC »

Hi Nick,

Yes they are all different keys. I have 4. ignition, petrol cap, steering lock and seat.
My steering lock has never worked and the seat lock stays open, I use the lever to keep it closed.

Sorry, that doesn't help much does it :roll:
ringer

Post by ringer »

Was about to drill out the rivet on the steering lock as prep for replacing the lock when I realised that the business end (the blade) of the key was still in the lock. With a lot of WD40 and a sewing machine needle, I managed to extract the broken off blade.

I don't think it is viable to weld a new bow (the bit you use to turn the key)onto this.

Have spoken with my local locksmith but he needs to know the name and code on the bow to get the correct blank. Can someone please supply me with this information? A photo too would be great. The same information for the seat lock key would also be appreciated.

Thanks guys

Nick
Last edited by ringer on 30 Aug 2008 20:56, edited 1 time in total.
3potjohn

Post by 3potjohn »

I found a similar bit of key in a discarded quality bike lock. I also got the bit out and my local bloke cut a new one,which works.More money saved.The steering lock looks exactly like those on my R series BMW's. The image of your broken blade looks like all of the critical part.
3potjohn

Post by 3potjohn »

Well...here is a link to a BMW one, which I reckon looks identical.
http://www.motorworks.co.uk/bmw/product ... g&spPage=2
George 350

Post by George 350 »

For what it's worth, the lock and keys for Morini's are made by Neiman. As 3 Pot John says, they are the same as those fitted by BMW and were also used on lots of the bigger 1970's Hondas.
George.
George
350 sport 1978, 350 Strada 1978
650 Norton 1967, 650 Kawasaki 1977 and 650 Enfield 2019
SteveMRC
Site Admin

Post by SteveMRC »

I can confirm my steering lock is also made in Germany by Neiman, but it has no numbers on it.
The fuel cap key is made by FAAB in Bologna and googling that brought up this website http://www.morlands.demon.co.uk/index.htm
They may be able to supply a blank.
3potjohn

Re: Steering Lock & Seat Lock

Post by 3potjohn »

Just to update the steering lock thing:I have removed my steering lock just now as I lost the key when my fob fell apart on the road.It is 39 mm in total length. I think the BMW type is 46mm in length so probably will not fit.
buzby

Post by buzby »

I bought a steering lock for my strada from Motorworks and it fits OK. :D
David
75 350 Strada, 76 350 Strada, 76 350 Sport. 80 250 vee, 72 Triumph TR5T and 81 Honda CB250RS
EVguru

Re:

Post by EVguru »

ringer wrote:Have spoken with my local locksmith but he needs to know the name and code on the bow to get the correct blank.
My local Timpsons were able to go through the rack and cut a Datsun key blank to fit a Triumph (car) lock.
Paul Compton
http://www.morini-mania.co.uk
http://www.youtube.com/user/EVguru
3potjohn

Post by 3potjohn »

Or even, dare I mention it, from a Vespa parts supplier.