The sidestand!

Maestro, SEI-V
Jack

The sidestand!

Post by Jack »

Hello folks. I am new to the club so hello everyone.
Secondly, forgive me for asking a question that to many will probably cause a bit of a groan!
I have recently acquired a 500 SEI Sport, and whilst I am doing the necessary servicing, I thought I'd address the problem of the self returning side stand.
I've almost dropped it twice because of this!

Does anyone know of any sort of bolt on replacement, not keen on the idea of having to undertake any welding on this bike (please see the photo attached).

Does anyone have any idea where I can get reasonably inexpensive spares and a flywheel puller so I can do the cam-belt? (I have a 27mm x1.0 rht puller, I believe that pitch is wrong)
I have had a trawl, but nothing leapt out so I thought I would ask you folks, just in case.

Best Regards
Jack
Attachments
MM LHS.jpg
MM LHS.jpg (420.88 KiB) Viewed 9959 times
Sicxtyone

Re: The sidestand!

Post by Sicxtyone »

Hi there Jack, welcome to the club.
Mdina Italia on line shop for parts and tools. But it's useful to know the part numbers!
Or post on the bikes and bits wanted on this forum. Your bike looks mint by the way.
Where are you in the country?
Graham.
AntietamClassicCycle

Post by AntietamClassicCycle »

If the 500 is the same as my 350 K2 was, the pivot bolt for the sidestand has a protrusion, that once cut off allows the stand to stay down.
Steve Brown

Post by Steve Brown »

As said above, the older models had a standard bolt as a pivot. No need to cut the original-it will be a priceless artefact by next weekend. So save on hacksaw blades and cutting discs. Very smart bike by the way and the best of the 500 series too.
This forum is good and nobody gets their nickers in a twist if you ask questions. Well, not too many anyway 8) The puller is a fairly standard item and (I think it is M27 x 1mm pitch. Don't skimp on your purchases anyway, you'll only pay more in the long run.

Hope you enjoy the bike too. :)
All donations to the rest home for old Camels, Leicestershire.
72degrees

Post by 72degrees »

Steve Brown wrote:This forum is good and nobody gets their nickers in a twist if you ask questions. Well, not too many anyway 8) The puller is a fairly standard item and (I think it is M27 x 1mm pitch.
Name names Steve !
M27 x 1.25 RH I thought. Buzetti ones are usually up to the job.
It's a Morini, enjoyment is mandatory :)

The forum search tool is useful ;)
search.php?keywords=flywheel+puller
search.php?keywords=m27+x+1.25
MickeyMoto

Post by MickeyMoto »

I may have a spare...
Steve Brown

Post by Steve Brown »

72degrees wrote:
Steve Brown wrote:This forum is good and nobody gets their nickers in a twist if you ask questions. Well, not too many anyway 8) The puller is a fairly standard item and (I think it is M27 x 1mm pitch.
Name names Steve !
M27 x 1.25 RH I thought. Buzetti ones are usually up to the job.
It's a Morini, enjoyment is mandatory :)

The forum search tool is useful ;)
search.php?keywords=flywheel+puller
search.php?keywords=m27+x+1.25
Maybe too early yet Pete, the fatwah issued when I broke that 500W still exists I think?
72degrees

Post by 72degrees »

Steve Brown wrote: Maybe too early yet Pete, the fatwah issued when I broke that 500W still exists I think?
Break a Morini? Who would do such a thing ????? ;)

I tell you, this forum is sweetness and light compared with another one I won't name.
MarkB

Post by MarkB »

Who would do such a thing? I've managed to break a few in my time...
"I'll have a V please, Bob."
72degrees

Post by 72degrees »

MarkB wrote:Who would do such a thing? I've managed to break a few in my time...
I meant intentionally, in to parts - as you very well know ;)
Jack

Post by Jack »

Chaps!

Thank you for the enthusiastic welcome, which is most appreciated.

Graham: The bike is very good, but I think it has been stored for a while, as it seems to have some minor faults, a leaking fork oil seal, and a couple of knackered threads in the crankcase. Which is ok, they are minor fixings not really load bearing and I have the corrrect inserts. (Yes, they're also blind holes...). It will get a full service as well. There is not a lot wrong though, because it starts well and pulls like a train. The comedy fault award goes to the front wheel which appears to be on the wrong way around, either that or the tyre was put on back to front!
I am presuming that the front wheel can go on either way around? Easy fix in that case.
It handles just as I remember my mate's Paul's bike, a 350, handling all those years ago. Still the best handling bike I have ever ridden! (Paul - are you on here?)
I am located in Camberley by the way.

ACC: thank you, I will take a look. If it's just a bolt I'll just replace it and keep the original, if I can.

Mr Brown: duly noted. I have a couple of other bikes, and I know precisely wahat you mean. I am the bloke who always keeps the points plate when I chuck electronic ignitoion on an old bike (1st and most important upgrade!). And, no, I think you might be surprised how many people say they haven't. Maybe the were just selling 'em on!
It is a lovely bike, I have been after a good 350 for ages, since about 1975 I think, so when I saw this one I bought it.
I took it out, got 35 miles on it and the clutch went, which is where I discovered comedy design fault number 2: the clutch actuating arm...if I'd known! I rode 10 miles home in 3rd gear. All the lights went green when I needed them to, and I didn't buy a lottery ticket. Arrrghhh!

72:[/b] thanks for the advice. Duly noted and appreciated.

Mickey: how much? Do you like beer?

When my hands don't go numb after 2 minutes of spannering I'll sort it out, and more importantly get out on it again.

I've only just finished the Commando!

Thanks again, and all the best
Jack
Sicxtyone

Post by Sicxtyone »

Jack, could well see you and your Morini at the "pub with no name", Corsaro section meet (but all bikes welcome) just north of Petersfield. First Saturday of the month, so fast approaching.
Do hope the fettling is going well!
Graham
Misha

Post by Misha »

Picture of my sidestand, 500 Sport 1980. Stays out with enough force, and stays secure along frame when folded in.
Spring is original, but i'm not using part no. 15. Rubber bumper is homemade. Top fastening point for spring has been repaired.

1980 500 Sport
SupermotoDave

Post by SupermotoDave »

I missed if anyone replied about the front wheel, You cannot turn them round because they have a speedo drive on the hub, so that means getting the tyre remounted, but how old are they anyway?
David
Steve Brown

Post by Steve Brown »

SupermotoDave wrote:I missed if anyone replied about the front wheel, You cannot turn them round because they have a speedo drive on the hub, so that means getting the tyre remounted, but how old are they anyway?
David
I bought a 500w once where the wheel was in the wrong way round! He'd gone to a lot of trouble to do it though. The forks and calipers were reversed too.

Definitely best to move or change that tyre :)