Brakelines

Maestro, SEI-V
guyhutchinson

Brakelines

Post by guyhutchinson »

Regarding Grimeca hydraulics has anybody had to replace the hydraulic pipes to the calipers? I have sourced through a company called Wezmoto a set of brake lines but they only fit a Morini 3.5 would these fit a 500 or does any body know of a better product?
MickeyMoto

Re: Brakelines

Post by MickeyMoto »

I sent mine to Venhill to copy. Specified Stainless fittings.
72degrees

Post by 72degrees »

Make a note of length and fittings and order a custom one on-line from Hel: That's what both my '250s' run.

https://auto.helperformance.com/custom-brake-hose
Ming

Post by Ming »

Like 72degrees, I measure the required length. I then buy a kit with hose and appropriate fittings from these people. https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/uptheshop/QU ... =808159014
Steve Brown

Post by Steve Brown »

guyhutchinson wrote:Regarding Grimeca hydraulics has anybody had to replace the hydraulic pipes to the calipers? I have sourced through a company called Wezmoto a set of brake lines but they only fit a Morini 3.5 would these fit a 500 or does any body know of a better product?
If the front end is standard they should do just fine. They are both pretty standardised there, I think even the rear should be the same too.
All donations to the rest home for old Camels, Leicestershire.
guyhutchinson

Post by guyhutchinson »

Thankyou to everybody who has helped with this problem
norbert

Post by norbert »

There might be a difference acording to the handlebars (clipons or not) :roll:
LoudenSwain

Post by LoudenSwain »

So I just ordered complete brake lines for my 500 sport. I purchased the hard pipes from the caliper to the lines from from either MDINA or Herdan. I can't recall but both probably have them. As far as the lines, I ended up getting them made up from HEL which has been mentioned here already. One big thing though is use HEL UK, NOT HEL USA. HEL USA presently has $225 of my money in their account and not only do I not have brake lines, I don't have a phone call answered, email answered or text message answered. Thats since December. HEL UK on the other hand took the order and I had my brake lines in three days. I should also mention even with shipping from the UK to Rhode Island USA, HEL UK was about $30 cheaper. HEL lines are top notch.
72degrees

Post by 72degrees »

LoudenSwain wrote:So I just ordered complete brake lines for my 500 sport. I purchased the hard pipes from the caliper to the lines from from either MDINA or Herdan. I can't recall but both probably have them. As far as the lines, I ended up getting them made up from HEL which has been mentioned here already. One big thing though is use HEL UK, NOT HEL USA. HEL USA presently has $225 of my money in their account and not only do I not have brake lines, I don't have a phone call answered, email answered or text message answered. Thats since December. HEL UK on the other hand took the order and I had my brake lines in three days. I should also mention even with shipping from the UK to Rhode Island USA, HEL UK was about $30 cheaper. HEL lines are top notch.
I've had good service from Hel UK. The .com URL should automatically route UK based browsers to the UK site but check for the address:
HEL Performance Automotive
International Headquarters
Lower Trelake Business Park
Tedburn Road
EXETER
EX4 2HF
UNITED KINGDOM

Plus at the very bottom of the custom hose order page- © Copyright 1997–2018 Hose Solutions Limited. Registered in England & Wales No. 6692101
simonnorthroad

Post by simonnorthroad »

Re brakelines

Can I recommend a brilliant company near me in Somerset: speedflow.co.uk

Fay there, couldnt be more helpful, can make up hoses with black covering to look almost OE, can send tem out with swaged-on stainless fittings as per factory, or make them self-assembly type, as per Goodridge/HEL.
They are quick-turnaround, high-quality, made-to-order - CHEAP too, way cheaper than anywhere mentioned above catering for motorbikes.
Speedflow doesnt seem to advertise but deserve to be better known.

Did I mention they are a bargain too compared with Venhill, HEL etc?!
Stubaker58

Post by Stubaker58 »

Can I jump onto this thread? I’m new to disc brakes so excuse the ignorance.
My 31/2 double disc brake stopped working (fortunately I was just pushing the bike out of the garage after refitting the wheels having had new tyres fitted).
It felt like something snapped in the lever so I’ve stripped down the master cylinder and I’ve got two repair kits on the way from Medina. There was nothing obvious wrong but there is some wax and small debris which can’t be good.
My question is .... is it sensible to change the hoses too (they’re original Grimeca items and look ok but they are 40 years old)
And .... when you change the hoses is it usual/necessary to use new bolts or just new washers?
Also what is the best thing to wash the master cylinder in?
Many thanks,
Stu
guyhutchinson

Post by guyhutchinson »

simonnorthroad wrote:Re brakelines

Can I recommend a brilliant company near me in Somerset: speedflow.co.uk

Fay there, couldnt be more helpful, can make up hoses with black covering to look almost OE, can send tem out with swaged-on stainless fittings as per factory, or make them self-assembly type, as per Goodridge/HEL.
They are quick-turnaround, high-quality, made-to-order - CHEAP too, way cheaper than anywhere mentioned above catering for motorbikes.
Speedflow doesnt seem to advertise but deserve to be better known.

Did I mention they are a bargain too compared with Venhill, HEL etc?!
hello
did you still keep the hard pipes that come from the callipers or did yo run the new pipes from the 3 way valve to the callipers and if so what measurement did you use much appreciate it if you could tell me
72degrees

Post by 72degrees »

Stubaker58 wrote:
My question is .... is it sensible to change the hoses too (they’re original Grimeca items and look ok but they are 40 years old)
And .... when you change the hoses is it usual/necessary to use new bolts or just new washers?
Also what is the best thing to wash the master cylinder in?
Many thanks,
Stu
I've only had single disc setup Morinis with the smaller 250 sized bore master cylinder. Fitting new braided lines to those felt the right thing to do whilst everything was stripped down. With black outer covering they don't look too far from original. The banjo bolts should be fine. If the copper washers are not actually damaged you could re-anneal them. I cleaned my master cylinder in an ultrasonic parts cleaner with suitable detergent/water, then finished off with brake-cleaner spray. On the 'racer' rebuild, the system had been standing unused for years and was almost seized up and full of black goo. I replaced master cylinder seals, caliper seals and also fitted new caliper pistons. OTT perhaps but when you are steaming in to a hairpin and late braking, you want to have confidence in the brake.
Stubaker58

Post by Stubaker58 »

Just to bring things up to date. I’ve completed the change over to a single disc front end. Hose from Faye at Speedflow.co.uk (fantastic service and product) integral switch/banjo from Venhill (supplied without washers, thanks Faye for the extra). Speedo cover changed for the large diameter version to cover the bolt heads and master cylinder refurbished curtesy seal kit from Mdina. Had a bit of trouble bleeding the brake but with help from forum posts finally got it done (increased free play so piston could return properly). Now feels rock solid and worked well enough on a short shakedown ride then ... lockdown. Can’t wait to get out again. Just waiting for refurbished disc from DiscDoctor to finish things off.