Veglia speedo repair

Maestro, SEI-V
Seagreen

Veglia speedo repair

Post by Seagreen »

Hi, I have a Veglia speedo on my 500 Sport that is missing the trip reset knob. Does anyone have any experience of a good place to get the speedo overhauled and the new reset fitted?
Thanks and a Happy 2020 to you all.
Charles
Sicxtyone

Re: Veglia speedo repair

Post by Sicxtyone »

Hi Charles,
I have just had a speedometer refurbished at www.speedycables.com in South Wales. Looks like new and the needle is as steady as a rock! From a 76 Strada so no trip on mine though.
It was about £130-00 plus vat and they seem good people to deal with, they even answer emails!
Job took about six weeks, handy tips on the web site about packing etc.
Graham.
And a happy New Year to all our readers.
pedro

Post by pedro »

Not my experience of Speedy Cables I'm afraid, lets just say that I won't be going back, not a good experience.
MickeyMoto

Post by MickeyMoto »

I paid £205 for Peter Bond to fix my Speedo. Looks great but not used yet. If satisfactory, I'll send my electronic tacho to be recalibrated.
EVguru

Post by EVguru »

MickeyMoto wrote:I paid £205 for Peter Bond to fix my Speedo. Looks great but not used yet. If satisfactory, I'll send my electronic tacho to be recalibrated.
Peter didn't used to deal with electronic instruments, but that may have changed.

Calibration is easy once you've got the mechanism out. You just use 12V AC from a transformer as the test signal. https://youtu.be/oVCOA5MX81I
Paul Compton
http://www.morini-mania.co.uk
http://www.youtube.com/user/EVguru
MickeyMoto

Post by MickeyMoto »

According to his website he started in 2013.
Seagreen

Post by Seagreen »

A big thanks to all who have replied to my enquiry about speedo repair. I have used Peter Bond relatively recently and have had no cause to complain - he repaired the Veglia speedo on my little Laverda 100. I was interested to see what other options were available to me as Peter's prices are quite high. I will inverstigate SpeedyCables, in spite of the mixed reviews to see what they would charge. I could also get them to do a refurb on the tacho and also on the 2 instruments on my Moto Guzzi, if I can afford it.
Thanks again and apologies for slow response, I have been laid low since just after Boxing Day with a heavy cold and cough that is still dragging on, just can't shift it fully and had forgotten that I had even posted the enquiry, so debilitating has been the effect.
Happy New Year to you all.
Adios,
Charles
MickeyMoto

Post by MickeyMoto »

Happy New Year to you too Charles. Sorry to hear you have been laid up.

Hope the sound of the RGS on song will soon fill the Cotswolds with it's music!

I have a ND Speedo and a vagueliar tacho for repair, so interested in other options.

Mike.
Seagreen

Post by Seagreen »

Hi Mike,
Good to hear from you. Awaiting a reply from Speedycables to see which way I will jump on the speedo repair - the motivation for getting this repaired was due to the fact that I ran out of fuel!! I had been running with the manual RH tap open but turned to the ON posn rather than RES position, under the mistaken undersatnding that it was like all my other bikes i.e. it had a standpipe for the fuel to pass through the ON posn to the carbs. Investigation of the tap when removed from the tank showed me that this was a mistake - no standpipe therefore ON was the same as RES :shock: . I almost always reset the trip mileage to zero when I refill the tank and I can then monitor the fuel level from there. I will continue to do this once I have a suitable trip knob. I have now dispensed with the unreliable solenoid operated tap so I now have manual taps each side (like my RGS), each ON posn is fitted with a standpipe so am feeling more confident............
BTW who if anyone is repairing your instruments?
Adios,
Charles
PS The RGS will be back out in the Cotswolds once I have shifted this bug and the weather has improved a bit - blowing hard here as I write.
MickeyMoto

Post by MickeyMoto »

Hi Charles,

The solenoid was the main tap and the metal tap only reserve. You have the best option now, with two taps. You can run the left on reserve and the right just on for everyday riding and use the right one for reserve once you know how far you can go on reserve on the the right hand tap.

I used Peter Bond to repair my Speedo, but still have a couple of instruments to repair so was waiting to see if anybody else had and comments regarding other repairers.

Buy an old Beemer (or a Massey Ferguson, sorry, Guzzi) and do not worry about the weather. My R90 appears impervious to salt and muck.

MM
Seagreen

Post by Seagreen »

Well, that is why I have an old Guzzi - 'tis like an old friendly tractor but it weighs a ton when manhandling it!!
Peter Bond seems to do a good job but he is relatively expensive; will probably have to use him if Speedycables do not come up with anything. Perhaps the cheapest option is to use a digital bicycle speedo that the odemeter can be reset after every fuel refill but not very elegant, also not sure what happens to the mileage reading if you exceed the stated speed max.
Adios,
Charles
Sicxtyone

Post by Sicxtyone »

An update on Speedycables.
My speedometer that was refurbished looks and works perfect, the electronic Tacho that was also sent looks perfect but came back massively under reading (as it was when sent The main reason for getting them done) I informed them on the 6th Jan by email and they said send it back and we will have a look. So as we speak they have it back.
Now they either didn't test the Tacho function or didn't know how to!
When I originally sent the instruments I didn't list any known faults, assuming they would diagnose any problems.
They now have listed what is wrong and readings of what it should be, I have also made them aware of Paul's YouTube video bench test.
So I wait to see what occurs and presume it will be five to six weeks again, but will keep you posted.
Graham.
MickeyMoto

Post by MickeyMoto »

Sicxtyone

Post by Sicxtyone »

Ho hum, I guess you pays yer money and makes yer choice. For better or worse. I'm still hoping for a good outcome.
In another owners club I was distracted by, members contributed to a good blokes guide.
Individuals and businesses could be put forward if good service had been experienced.
Graham.
pedro

Post by pedro »

My experience of Speedy cables was bloody awful, despite detailed instructions as to what I wanted doing, it took three attempts to get it right, each time with postage paid by me, and over six months to get a simple job right. They just ignored the list I sent them.