Veglia speedo repair

Maestro, SEI-V
Sicxtyone

Re: Veglia speedo repair

Post by Sicxtyone »

Hi Ming,
I've tried messaging but not seeming to work, am still keen to secure the Tacho, hope you still have it.
Email. mga.goacher@hotmail.co.uk or 07866 521955.
Graham.
simonnorthroad

Post by simonnorthroad »

Ditto for me with SpeedyCables - they take twice as long as promised (a bloody long time) and when it did come back the electronic-tacho was reading at half-speed - just like other people's on here, so theyve got no excuse for repeatedly making the same mistake with Morini tachos surely.

I wouldnt use them again
Sicxtyone

Post by Sicxtyone »

Yes agreed, if they have previous with our particular instruments they should not accept the work!
Graham.
Seagreen

Post by Seagreen »

Hi,
A quick update. I sent the clocks to Peter Bond (aka the gaugeman) and after 4 weeks, as per quote, they arrived back home looking like new. Peter Bond, has basically serviced the clocks, adjusted the damping etc so that pointer (needles) do not jump about, fitted new bezel, refurbed the faces and the pointers (or they may even be new), fitted some new internals and all looks good - see attached photos.
Not cheap but I think that the quality of his work is good.
Good luck in these difficult times and please take it (Covid-19) seriously,
Charles
Attachments
Sideview to show the new trip reset made by Peter Bond - he needed the mounting pod to ensure the diameter of the reset know were correct.
Sideview to show the new trip reset made by Peter Bond - he needed the mounting pod to ensure the diameter of the reset know were correct.
Refurbished clocks_new speedo trip reset_IMG_2286.jpg (175.08 KiB) Viewed 7369 times
As you see them when sat on the bike
As you see them when sat on the bike
Refurbished clocks_IMG_2285.jpg (188.14 KiB) Viewed 7369 times
MickeyMoto

Post by MickeyMoto »

Looking good there...

Expensive? Probably not if they work.

Stay At Home! As much as I would like to see people, I'd rather see you in six months than never again!
Seagreen

Post by Seagreen »

MickeyMoto wrote:Looking good there...

Expensive? Probably not if they work.

Stay At Home! As much as I would like to see people, I'd rather see you in six months than never again!
Well thanks Mickey, very kind of you - this social distanceing is obviously softening you up.
Thanks,
Charles
MickeyMoto

Post by MickeyMoto »

Steady on... :)

I do not intend publishing any photographs of my backside flouncing around on this forum!
acemorini

Post by acemorini »

Hello Charles,
The clocks look fantastic, if that’s the standard of Peter Bonds work I think that I will send him my 500 clocks.
Regards Pete.
Seagreen

Post by Seagreen »

I think that Peter's work is good - the proof of that will be in the longer term when the clocks have been put to good use; until then, I would have no qualms in using him again, in fact he has my Moto Guzzi clocks now that should be wending their way back to me any day, postal service permitting.
Adios,
Charles
JonnyP

Post by JonnyP »

Both my speedo and rev counter have badly faded dials. Does anyone know whether it is possible to source replacement dials, as part of the refurbishment process? I know that screen printed dials are available for certain classic car gauges.
Daddy Dom

Post by Daddy Dom »

Peter Bond, has basically serviced the clocks, adjusted the damping etc so that pointer (needles) do not jump about,
They look superb!
Luckily, mine have never really been 'vague liars'. I haven't had them serviced but noticed a positive change to needle-smoothness once I'd fitted a new speedo cable and routed it properly. Made a huge difference. My tacho has always been pretty smooth.
Something to bear in mind.
DD½
MRC 3082½
simonnorthroad

Post by simonnorthroad »

I had two tachos done by Speedy Cables. Nothing Speedy about them, apart from the name, and BOTH came back reading at half-speed. The first time I thought was a fluke.
Looking on here, its obvious SC make the same mistake on Morini tachos over and over again, and have had multiple people sending them back, with several months wait (again). Never again
EVguru

Post by EVguru »

Seagreen wrote:adjusted the damping etc so that pointer (needles) do not jump about
Charles
At least in the electronic tachometers and I don't think the mechanical Veglias are any different, there is no adjusting of the damping, except by using a different oil. The oil is in a cup beneath the lower shaft bearing. The reason the damping fails is that the very high viscosity damping oil evaporates, oxidises, or simply leaks out over time.
Paul Compton
http://www.morini-mania.co.uk
http://www.youtube.com/user/EVguru