Starter Chain (again yawn)

Maestro, SEI-V
Sicxtyone

Starter Chain (again yawn)

Post by Sicxtyone »

Morning, was wondering if any cleverer than me engineering types have devised a method of effectively getting at least some tension on the starter chain?
I have a new chain on but moving the motor to the end of the slot only loses half the slack. Result is a really clattery operation (but will spin up sometimes).
I think a I saw on here that the chain is a standard size so it may be possible to gat a half link connector? As I think taking out a whole link will be too much.
Taking apart again today so going to see if any other ideas come to mind.
Regards
Graham.
Steve Brown

Re: Starter Chain (again yawn)

Post by Steve Brown »

If clattery with a new chain it may be the shoes doing the rattling? I have two of the starter shoe clutch assemblies and have fitted them both at different times. They make different noises, one much quieter than the other! That's with worn chains too.
I must get round to relining the shoes and buying a chain :) both are quite worn on mine.
Did you make a note of the chain dimensions and sizes/codes please?
All donations to the rest home for old Camels, Leicestershire.
Sicxtyone

Post by Sicxtyone »

Hi Steve,
I think the garage may be warm enough now! Well it ain't gonna get any better.
I will try to measure as best I can but I'm sure a post recently said they were a standard size and available from usual outlets, so no need to bother Mdina. From memory they wanted £20 plus the usual, so I'll look out the invoice for the part no anyway.
When I got the new chain I was disappointed to find it was only very marginally smaller than the one I was replacing. And as I had no history with the bike I presumed the old one was shot, but maybe it weren't.
G
Sicxtyone

Post by Sicxtyone »

Morning, so I think the chain is 3/8 X 1/4, the old one in mine was a Regina. Mdina want £28 all in part no M290112 but online Regina British standard chain 3/8 pitch simplex £3.48 a foot inc vat. Plus they do a half link, cranked link and an ordinary link so a bit of adjustment is possible? From George Lodge & sons ltd.
Someone will be along to shoot me down if I'm wrong with this.
G
EVguru

Post by EVguru »

All the starters I've done have been able to get the chain tight. Have you checked your sprockets for wear?
Paul Compton
http://www.morini-mania.co.uk
http://www.youtube.com/user/EVguru