rubber manifolds MM32 and MM38

Maestro, SEI-V
alexluzzi

rubber manifolds MM32 and MM38

Post by alexluzzi »

a wile ago I had a request for the rubber manifolds for the 500.
As promised, I have now available the manifolds identified as MM32 (head to carb) and MM38 (carb to filter).
The manifolds are freshly molded with a rubber mesh that can stand heat, oils and weather conditions.
For any request, pls e-mail to alexluzzi@gmail.com
milburn2990

Re: rubber manifolds MM32 and MM38

Post by milburn2990 »

The standard MM32 rubbers are not rubber, but a sort of VITON or NITRILE material a bit like an 'O' ring.

I bought some new manifolds that seemed to made of rubber. They lasted about 200 miles before failing as I shut off down a long hill. The extended time under vacuum conditions caused the manifolds to collapse and holed. When I removed them they were very soft and I think had absorbed fuel. They firmed up a couple of days after I removed them, I suppose as the fuel evaporated.

I now need to repair my originals, might try superglue.

Anyone have any ideas?
Morizzi

Re: rubber manifolds MM32 and MM38

Post by Morizzi »

Were the rubber inlets you purchased the ones from Alex? Might be an idea to be clear on this as your statement is a bit ambiguous as to the source of the manifolds that failed.

I purchased a set and they arrived without issue. I haven't fitted them yet.

I've even used manifolds made out of radiator hose without issue in the past.

I've had success repairing rubber with superglue but it isn't flexible when set.

I've also had success with repairing my old manifolds with polyurethane sealant/adhesive such as sikaflex. It doesn't last forever but it lasts a fair while.

You could try black RTV silicone too. I don't as it is a do or die sort of thing. Not as structurally strong as polyurethane and once set nothing likes to stick to it. You can do polyurethane in layers, just a bit of a roughen up for the next coat. Still worth a shot if you don't have other options.

The trick to most of the above is to allow the material to fully cure. Rush the part back into service and the fuel will eat it in no time.