500 Pistons

Maestro, SEI-V
Harry

500 Pistons

Post by Harry »

I have been asked if it is possible to have some more forged piston made for the 500's. The company manufacture the pistons for the Ducati works team so quality is proven. They are also prepared to manufacture the 71mm bore pistons in sizes 71.10mm, 71.20mm, but also in sizes 72mm, 73mm, 74mm, and 75mm for those of you who want to go big.
The maximum size I would advise on the 69 bore barrels is 70mm which is what I have in one of my machines, owing to thinness of the liner. The 71 bore pistons can be bored to at the most 75mm. The advantage with using these pistons is that the gudgeon pin is correctly offset unlike the Guzzi pistons which I believe have ben utilized and the combustion chamber is the correct Morini shape.
There is a minimum order quantity of 12 pistons which can be any combination of sizes. I am still negociating costs but estimates are in the £130 complete with rings and pin, plus the vat.
If any body is interested in ordering any of these pistons in whatever size can they express an interest by e-mail and i will collate quantity and sizes and post on the forum what the progress is.
I have been asked a number of times about what to bore the barrels when fitting pistons. Your enine machinist shoud know that the clearance is in the piston, so that if a piston is marked 69.5mm then he should bore to 69.5mm and not add clearance as well!
mgill

Re: 500 Pistons

Post by mgill »

Hello, Count me in for a set of 74mm pistons.
Sent you a PM.
Thanks.
Mathew Gill
MRC #2795
Morizzi

Post by Morizzi »

Just a clarification please.

Is it 130GBP per piston or pair?

Thanks

Rod
Harry

Post by Harry »

This price is provision for one piston complete. I shall endeavor to get the VAT knocked off for overseas buyers, but no promises as they would be despatched direct from Omega pistons and I have only just been asked about this arrangement.
morinipete

Post by morinipete »

Hi Nigel (I take it it's you ?),

I might be in for another pair, but need to get some over-sized barrels measured first (for sizes). Hold fire and I'll get back

Pete
NLM

Post by NLM »

We have 500 pistons in stock for 500 and have all the oversizes, why bother to try and re-invent the wheel?

Chris NLM
morinipete

Post by morinipete »

Hi, because I need 70mm, for barrels past their best :)

Unless you have those too for iron barrels ? Also all three 500 engines I have ever stripped have had hairline cracks to the expansion slots on the stard 500 type piston skirt. May be your new ones have solid skrits now (?) but I still have the 70mm problem.

Cheers

Pete
stillooking

Post by stillooking »

Deja Vu?

Or am I locked in time circa 2005? - This subject and process looks very familiar to me when I was in the MRC a while back with the same people involved or is my memory playing tricks again? Maybe :)