Hello, anyone nearby with a 500?

Maestro, SEI-V
whitevanman

Hello, anyone nearby with a 500?

Post by whitevanman »

Hello all,

I have a 500-6 speed and haven't touched it for years (hang my head in shame) I purchased one & a bit bikes in boxes from a chap in oldham many,many years ago, gradually i built one bike up out of what i have with the help of the guys at NLM and wemoto when they were around. Anyway my Morini languishes under a cover in the corner of my garage along with a CB450K1.

When I was building up a decent motor I found that one of them had been well overbored and had what looked like handmade pistons, unfortunately one of these pistons was mia or most of it was anyway the remainder had destroyed the head and rod. this motor also had a lumpy cam with no markings which was beyond saving so was junked. It later transpired that I have the test bike that did the rounds in 80's for the magazines (it's in the July 82 copy of Mechanics, that's when I found out it was my bike). So i'm guessing the motor was somewhat tweaked so as not to look too slow compared to the jap offerings.

She's still not finished yet and to be honest I could do with the help of another owner to assist with the wiring which was never my strong point, before that happens though i'll have to get another battery sorted as the one on is long dead. I'm not interested in someone spending days round here to get her on the road, more to just assist and advise where everything goes and making sure the electrics are working etc....

I'll try and upload some pics later when i've got the sprog off to bed..

Cheers guys
bye
Emmohaswheelsagain

Re: Hello, anyone nearby with a 500?

Post by Emmohaswheelsagain »

HI Whitevanman,

You didn't say were you are?
I'm sure someone can and will help.
May be we could feature your rebuild in ATG.
I assume you are a member of course.
If not join up.

Regards

Paul
whitevanman

Post by whitevanman »

Thanks for the reply Paul, I'm near Burnham-on-Crouch in Essex, Here's my bike, It's not progressed too far since this shot and is now covered in a layer of dust which i'll get off next weekend hopefully. She has sport bars, tarrozzi rearsets (think they're tarrozzis anyway). I have almost all of the bike except rearshocks for which I have one plain marz & one red piggyback. Sorry it's poor quality but it's a digi photo of a photo as having trouble with my scanner
old bike pics small1.jpg
old bike pics small1.jpg (112.66 KiB) Viewed 8955 times
This second shot is of all my (then) wifes bikes and mine outside our old house. from left to right. Yam SR500, Morini 500, Kwak ZX10, Yam RD375LC (stan stephens jobbie), Honda NS400R. Only one I still have is the Morini, But I now have a 1970 CB450K1, Yam XTZ750 SuperTenere & my baby a TL1000s with all the flash bits (most of them anyway).
old bike pics small2.jpg
old bike pics small2.jpg (123.63 KiB) Viewed 8955 times
As an aside if any of you bought a workshop manual in the mid nineties from NLM (photocopy of the blue one in a plastic fronted binding) you can thank me for it as I have an original and did all the copying/make up for NLM (for a small fee obviously). I think they still do them, but they don't get them from me anymore.

I'm just starting to feel real guilty about having the old girl sitting in the corner of the garage being neglected.. but work & family life has uptil now really put all my biking on hold. Well that and a near fatal off, but life goes on (luckily)..

I'll take some new pics when i get her out from under the sheets (after a quick wash)
Cheers guys
Steve
whitevanman

Post by whitevanman »

OK, clean up on hold as the head gasket has gone on my XTZ, so that'll have to come first as I use it for work. With regard to membership, I was a member long ago and will sign up again asap. Apart from the sparky bits and a couple of niceties like the rear shocks it's pretty much finished, only problem with an article for ATG would be that I have very few photos and it was done quite a while ago...(to give you an idea how long, I wasn't long married when I got it, I've now been married 3 times [not morini related])...

Regards to all
Steve
John Bunting

Post by John Bunting »

to give you an idea how long, I wasn't long married when I got it, I've now been married 3 times [not morini related])...

Regards to all
Steve[/quote]

Better turn to Muslim then you're allowed to marry 4 :roll:
stevie-h

Post by stevie-h »

You have to consider the concept of Morini ownership as a life long dedicated, passionate affair.

Marriage on the other hand, well.......well........well.......!!!