Fuel taps??

Maestro, SEI-V
Baffled

Fuel taps??

Post by Baffled »

Hello, All. I'm fascinated reading these different threads and posts. I am new to Morini ownership (like 2 weeks!) so just feeling my way. My bike is a 1982 500 Strada. I interested by the references in the forum to the fuels taps, both reserve and electrical. I have not yet figured out why there are two sets of taps and how they interact (no manual, you see). Do the manual taps override the electrical one, or is it vice versa? What is the point about having both sorts anyway? Can anybody enlighten me, please? Regards, Baffled.
hendre

Re: Fuel taps??

Post by hendre »

the electric one is always on when the iginition is on, the manual is kind of a reserve option or... if you want to ride full throttle you can open both so there will be enough fuel to fill the carbs :mrgreen:
Many Morini drivers replace the electric one by a manual as the electrics restrict the fuel flow when getting older
John Bunting

Post by John Bunting »

hendre wrote:the electric one is always on when the iginition is on, the manual is kind of a reserve option or... if you want to ride full throttle you can open both so there will be enough fuel to fill the carbs :mrgreen:
Many Morini drivers replace the electric one by a manual as the electrics restrict the fuel flow when getting older
Is that the bike or the rider getting older?
Why Morini fitted an electric tap is very strange it serve no purpose when you also have a manual one and is restrictive.
EVguru

Post by EVguru »

Yes, what is the point of fitting any kind of automatic fuel tap?

After all owners ALWAYS shut the fuel off and don't flood the floor of their garage with fuel and contaminate their oil. Most bikes these days have vacuum operated fuel taps with a manual reserve position.

I really don't think we can complain that the diaphram in the electric tap is not as flexible as it used to be after 30 years and won't always flow enough fuel for high speed running.
Paul Compton
http://www.morini-mania.co.uk
http://www.youtube.com/user/EVguru
John Bunting

Post by John Bunting »

EVguru wrote:Yes, what is the point of fitting any kind of automatic fuel tap?

After all owners ALWAYS shut the fuel off and don't flood the floor of their garage with fuel and contaminate their oil. Most bikes these days have vacuum operated fuel taps with a manual reserve position.

I really don't think we can complain that the diaphram in the electric tap is not as flexible as it used to be after 30 years and won't always flow enough fuel for high speed running.
Forget the diaphragm after 30 years, what about knees when past 60, Don't take things too seriously Paul, life is to be enjoyed??
Motofrog

Post by Motofrog »

The electric tap is on when the ignition is on and off when you take the key out. The other tap is for a reserve.. DO turn it off whenever you fill up. Otherwise you could get stuck in the middle of France, long walk to nearest farm as I remember :oops: :oops:
SupermotoDave

Post by SupermotoDave »

I always tell people the electric tap is to prove you have power in the battery when you turn the bike on, it rewards you with an audible "clunk" as if to say "Good Morning".
Baffled

Post by Baffled »

Thanks, all, for the help on this. Unfortunately your task is not yet done ...
When I heard about the bike having an "electric" tap, I assumed it was in addition to the two hand-operated oned protruding from the bottom of the tank. However, your posts suggest that one of those two is in fact the electric tap. Which one is it? Unfortunately there is no reassuring electric "clunk" coming from either of mine to give me a clue. Furthermore, both the hand-operated taps on my machine have a "Res" setting engraved on them. Baffling, huh?

Baffled.
morini_tom

Post by morini_tom »

Ah that explains it! Your electric tap has been replaced with a manual one in the front!

You should only need to use one tap anyway so leave the front tap off and use the rear one (just not in the res position until you need it otherwise you'll run out of fuel!)
Baffled

Post by Baffled »

Great, at last I understand!
Many thanks to all.
Baffled.
MarkB

Post by MarkB »

I've also got an electotap issue, on my 3 1/2 Strada, but as this thread is here I thought I'd see if anyone can offer advice.

A while ago I noticed a lack of 'clunk' when I turned on the ignition. I assumed that the battery must have stopped charging, but the red ignition light was on and the lights and indicators were all fine. So the problem must lie in the electrotap, but the curious thing is that fuel is still flowing through it, so it's not stuck in the off position. Is it possible for the tap to jam open, without flooding the carburettor when left standing? And if it is, can it be stripped to free it?

So, electrotap not going clunk, bike starts and runs beautifully, and the carburettor doesn't flood when the bike's left standing.

Any advice gratefully received. Mark.
"I'll have a V please, Bob."
ringer

Post by ringer »

Yes Mark, it can be stripped down - a useful exercise to understand how it works - but a word of warning. Be careful unscrewing the tap from the tank - the seal on that thread has not been broken for 30 years. Have some fibre washers handy in case of leaks on reassembly. There is a thin locknut between the two bodies that needs to be undone a quarter turn before you can unscrew the bodies by hand. Be careful when separating the square body (fuel valve body) from the cylindrical body (solenoid) - there is a rubber diaphragm that may tear due to age. Be very careful removing the diaphragm from the valve body - you need to do this to check/clean the fuelway. It is vital that the integrity of this diaphragm is maintained for the tap to operate correctly. If your tap is indeed constantly open, it could be that the diaphragm has already split. Check for corrosion on the pin within the solenoid - corrosion may stop the pin from moving when the solenoid is activated. With the two bodies separated, insert the pin in the solenoid, connect the solenoid to the wires on the bike, put your thumb lightly over the open end of the solenoid (you will feel the spring try to push it outwards onto the diaphragm), and switch on the ignition. You will then see how the pin moves and understand how the tap works. On reassembly take care of the orientation between square and round bodies - use the locknut to adjust their relative position. First time I reassembled mine I couldn't understand why the wires were a stretch to reach the terminals - the terminals need to be on the inside when the tap is refitted.
Nick - 1979 500 Strada
MarkB

Post by MarkB »

Nick, thanks for that helpful information. The electrotap has woken up of its own accord, so I think I'll leave well alone for the time being. I've got an awful lot of electrical connections and earths to check and clean over the winter! It's good to have detailed instructions for when I do need to dismantle the tap.

Thanks, Mark.
"I'll have a V please, Bob."