colour wiring diagram

Maestro, SEI-V
kmamac

colour wiring diagram

Post by kmamac »

This web site has a brilliant colour wiring diagram and was curious if anyone has actually used it in whole or partially and can confirm it is correct.(500 early version) The one in my manual is practically unreadable (which is I suspect why some one went to the trouble of doing this one) so I cannot check it against that. I have decided to build a new harness from scratch as most of what I have is pretty awful after 30 years. Too many corroded terminals, evidence of over heating, a few missing wires, corrosion to the copper wire all the way back into the cable so i cannot just pop on a new terminal etc etc . Vehicle wiring products have all the colours and tools so as long as the diagrams correct Im in there pretty soon. Maybe I should make a spare and stick it one ebay. Maybe not! enough to do without stupid money making schemes.
thanks in advance
Keith MM
enfie

Re: colour wiring diagram

Post by enfie »

Hi Keith,

I have a 1980 500 and I have made quite a few running repairs to the wiring. I have used the wiring diagram you describe and have found it to be accurate. Most of my problems have been ageing wiring and poor earths, not surprising after 30 years.

I hope to rewire the bike fully over the winter, recommend Vehicle Wiring products for wire, connectors etc.
Best of luck with the rewire.

Cheers, Enfie.
Brubru

Re: colour wiring diagram

Post by Brubru »

Just an advise: add grounding wires between the various grounding points of the frame, the engine and the negative of the battery. Much better than to rely on a corroded steel frame to transmit the return current.

Bruno
The fastest touring rack east of the Channel