Indicator Problem

Maestro, SEI-V
snatchpiece

Indicator Problem

Post by snatchpiece »

Just lately when I used the indicators on my Strada they would only flash about five or six times, however with the headlight switched off they would work OK. Yesterday the rear right would not flash at all and the front stayed on continuous, I thought the rear bulb must have blown, when I removed it it appeared to be OK, I tried the bulb from the left rear (which was working) and that didn't flash either, and nor did it when I replaced it back in the left indicator unit! I checked both bulbs on a 12 volt battery and they work fine. So now I had the front indicators staying on and nothing at the rear. I connected a wire from the - terminal on the battery to the earth connection in the right rear indicator, when I tried the right indicators neither would illuminate and there was a ticking sound that appeared to be coming from the flasher unit behind the right side panel, when I turned the indicators off it kept ticking, at this point I thought I'd better seek advice. I've removed the wire I had rigged up and now am back to front indicators illuminating constant and nothing from the rears, whatever has gone wrong?
1980 Moto Morini Strada 500
3potjohn

Re: Indicator Problem

Post by 3potjohn »

Commiserations.I have had a recalcitrant right rear indicator.After disconnecting the (I think) black and white live feed to the rear right and running new wires to the bulbs, checking with a multimeter and generally bu**ering about I have run fresh earths to the back end and now it's OK.What happens to the rear if you remove the front bulbs? Whats the state of all connectors and earths below the steering head.