Leg shield fitting

Maestro, SEI-V
Griffo

Leg shield fitting

Post by Griffo »

I'm trying to restore a 1982 500 SEI-V Sport which is also called the Maestro in some places. I have heaps of bits and pieces laying around to help me with this project. I bought this bike in 1985 and rode it a few times. I have the fairing and leg shields. I need some details of how to fit the leg shields. I have no brackets so I will have to make them. Where do they mount to and can anyone email me detailed photos. Email is griffin60a@hotmail.com.au
On the road again
John Bunting

Post by John Bunting »

Hi Griffo,
Do you mean the fairing around the engine? not really leg shields, I can snap mine over the weekend and mail foto's, it is not fitted as I did not like it but have all the brackets and spacers, so you should be able to make copies
John
Griffo

Post by Griffo »

Hi John,
I suppose I mean the fairing around the engine. The original as fitted by the factory. photos of the spacers and brackets would be great. If you could also describe where they attach to would help also. I assume that the lower bracket would bolt on to the front engine mount.
Cheers
Griffo
On the road again
John Bunting

Re: Leg shield fitting

Post by John Bunting »

Hi Griffo,
You got lucky, nagodi Allah; the weekend came early due to the Muslim Eid-el Kabir holiday, that’s the good news, the bad news I have a glitch in my house Pc that wont allow me to attach photo’s to mail, so I’ll try to give a written description and attempt to send photo’s from my office Pc next week
You need to make 2 bobbins Ǿ28mm x 50mm long, these bolt the lower fairing to the front engine mounts with M6 x 65mm long bolts. Use big washers under the bolt head to spread the load on the fiber glass. The bobbins could be waisted to reduce weight.
The upper bent brackets are R+L handed and use M6 bolts to attach to the lugs under the steering head used to locate the horn and steering damper.
Make using 2mm x 24mm flat bar and have 2 pairs of holes 30mm apart; the 2nd pair of holes are to allow fitting adjustment are 8mm offset from the other pair of holes and could be slotted if wished.
My ‘working’ holes were approximately 65mm and 35mm from the center of the bend radius. The bend is at an angle of approximately 60 degrees to the bar center line (R+L handed) and the bend is not a right angle, more like 75-80degree, this allows the brackets to angle back and up from the under steering head lugs..
A long dog leg 3mm x 15mm strap joins the L-H fairing to the R-H fairing and has 2 holes at each end to allow adjustment with the outer hole center line to the 1st bend 40mm and between the 1st and 2nd bend 170mm, then from the 2nd bend to the last hole center line 28mm, there are another pair of hole 8mm inboard of the 2 outer hole centers, and could be slotted.
The dog leg offset is approximately 55mm and the ends are not parallel, a little onsite bending will be required.
All the bracket bolts are M5 x 15mm long
Good luck and let me know how you get on.
I’m off to modify the centrifugal clutch shoes by adding a little weight to the ends furthest from the pivots to try and stop them slipping, if that didn’t work I’ll be looking to fit a modern Japanese starter motor and sprag clutch, the electric leg has to work at all times I do not like this hit and miss affair.
Kind regards
John
Griffo

Post by Griffo »

Thanks John,
Instuctions are good and clear. It's just what I needed to know. I have never been excited about electric starters, but I do seem to remember 2 things. Firstly, I heard that some people cut grooves into the shoes. I don't remember if it helps or if the cuts were straight or on an angle. I think it helped keep it clean. The second thing I remember is that most didn't use the starter because it was useless no matter what you did. Maybe the best option is to get rid of the whole thing and and put the right side engine cover form a 3 1/2. Much lighter and thinner. MMM do you have to put a 3 1/2 stator plate and rotor on if you do that. Just a thought
Cheers
Griffo
On the road again
John Bunting

Post by John Bunting »

Hi Griffo,
Glad you found the instructions clear, I'll send photo's if my office Pc cooperates.
I've got angled grooves in my shoes (make me walk funny) and even after the most careful cleaning still slip, thats why I am going to add a little weight to the end of the shoe furthest from the pivot.
If that fails a little Nippon Densu mutation will take place.
Regards
John
John Bunting

Post by John Bunting »

Hi Griffo,
I tried sending photo's to your mail address griffin60a@hotmail.com.au all my attempts failed.
Mail me on jtbunting44@yahoo.co.uk and I'll try again.
Regards
John