Starting problems

Maestro, SEI-V
ringer

Starting problems

Post by ringer »

Currently experiencing problems getting the bike started - once going, it runs fine. Each time I get on the bike, it seems to be a lottery whether it will start or not. When it won't start, I try bumping it, and eventually it gets going (but this can take up to 30 mins and a lot of effort). When it does eventually fire, it does it so easily, it is as if there never was a problem! I suspect a dodgy connection somewhere in the ignition circuit.

It seems there is no spark produced at the plugs. I want to analyse the ignition system, as detailed in the blue book, but that refers to an obsolete discharger (Siemens BI-C90). What can I use instead of this component that is both freely available and relatively cheap?
Nick - 1979 500 Strada
3potjohn

Post by 3potjohn »

What is the resistance from the green wire coming from the generator? I pull the wire from the fuse terminal and check between it and earth, mine was 185 ohms originally and the bike would need a few kicks,certainly never on the electric start, though it ran ok whereas now it is rewound it's 300 ohms and the bike starts without issue.
Steve Brown

Post by Steve Brown »

Agree with threepot, and would add that if the coil checks out ok, maybe a de-magnetised flywheel? If this is the case, the battery charge rate will be reduced as well. Mine was like that from new, I think the battery was connected back to front at the pdi. Morphy Motors near Tring. They couldn't diagnose it and didn't really want to know. They aren't there now , wonder why?
ringer

Post by ringer »

My ignition coil measures 236 ohms. Am now planning to rewind it to get it up to 300 ohms. Have purchased the wire from my local Maplins - they had it on the shelf at £8.40 for 250g of 0.125mm solderable enamelled wire. Just need to pluck up the courage to start the job - this bike is my daily runabout and I want to be sure I can dismantle the coil, rewind it and refit it quickly. Have been unable to find a source for new formers/bobbins so have to trust to luck that the original former will be ok to reuse.

But before I get started I want to analyse the ignition circuit as it is now, for later comparison. As in my original post, does anyone know of a suitable component to use to indicate if the coil is outputting the required 90V?

Another question - I'm sure I read a reference somewhere recently about the ignition circuit not producing a spark if the engine is spinning at less than 400rpm. Can anyone confirm this, or was I mistaken?
Nick - 1979 500 Strada