Kick starting technique

Maestro, SEI-V
bigred

Kick starting technique

Post by bigred »

Hi whats the kickstarting technique people use.
I have got the Sachse electronic ignition system fitted.
So its fuel taps on. Kick it twice with choke on but ignition off and no throttle just idle.
Switch on ignition and third kick starts it with no throttle just idle position.
Anyone have a different foolproof start technique?
morini_tom

Re: Kick starting technique

Post by morini_tom »

I’ve never kickstarted a 500 so I’ll not comment on specific technique but generally a Morini likes a good sharp kick rather than a lumbering swing if you know what I mean.

But, the reason for my reply, incase anyone omits to mention it- NEVER kickstart a Morini on the sidestand. It will at some point damage the frame.
MickeyMoto

Post by MickeyMoto »

The technique:

Ignition on
Fuel on
Chokes up and
Press button. Electric kick-start is best.
morini_tom

Post by morini_tom »

I do agree Mickey, my electric foot works a treat. But you did include an extra step. With a working electric fuel tap no need to even turn on the fuel!!

Also, I tend to flip my chokes up when I park. I figure it helps stop the choke rubber pad taking an indented set which eventually causes poor starting. So for me it’s ignition on and press the button.
simonnorthroad

Post by simonnorthroad »

Both chokes up, kick/jab it like you would a two stroke. Dont even bother hunting for TDC
Repeat (if your carbs are out of balance)
Warm it up by switching off one choke at a time/juggling them to reduce revs, so it doesnt rev its nuts off from cold, and warm each cylinder up.
They can be cold blooded so dont expect them to tick over immediately off-choke, or mine dont
Ride away
lemans

Post by lemans »

viewtopic.php?p=42587#p42587

usually starts with 1~2 kick
if left for a couple of weeks then 2~3 kicks
the electric start is not fitted.
norbert

Post by norbert »

If I want to be sure that my 501 starts first kick (or second): the two chokes open, one slow kick without ignition, then looking for compresion, ignition on and a firm kick. Then immediatley one choke off, the second after about 2-500m. Starting a 501 by kicking is nearly impossible without looking for compresion when cold. If a motor does not start, sometimes it helps to give it two or three slow kicks without ignition with the throddle wide open first to exchange gases.
Vitesse

Post by Vitesse »

My 350 will never start with both chokes up. Always needs one but it doesn't matter which one. There is no logical explanation for this.