new toy

Maestro, SEI-V
huub

Re: new toy

Post by huub »

these castle nuts can be stupidly stuck ,
best to get /make a properly fitting tool, the nuts are pretty soft, so easy to damage.
norbert

Post by norbert »

Heat, heat, heat! If the motro runs, heat it up properly before destroying the nut. If not try to heat up the head anyhow. Soldering a lever can also be the way to go.
Once I had a highly resisting nut and had tu use a chisel and heavy hammer (of course with the dead in a vice and not mounted to the motor) I´ve heated up the head on a (kitchen) hotplate and it gave me a lot of pain to use that much brutality. Shortly before the nut was absolutely destroyed it came loose. This is a horror picture and probably you will have easier succes. If it resists I would prefer soldering a lever to do the first move (of course you cannot turn the nut with a lever conected.
k-IMG-20210219-WA0017.jpeg
k-IMG-20210219-WA0017.jpeg (81.75 KiB) Viewed 6416 times
The battlements of the nut have been nearly destroyed before the motor came to me
k-IMG-20210222-WA0009.jpeg
k-IMG-20210222-WA0009.jpeg (93.29 KiB) Viewed 6417 times
harrymuffin

Post by harrymuffin »

I had a simlar problem and only heat from a big brazing torch would get enough heat into the head. Stillsons with head in a vice was the only way I could get the nut to move, tighten first then anti clockwise. Made new ones in phosphore bromze, don't use stainless steel as aluminium and s.s will fret together, talk to someone who works on aero engineswho will tell you why.
lemans

Post by lemans »

send a request for the special spanner and applied more penetrating oil. and seeing the pictures I'll apply more oil.

I wanted to replace the exhaustsystem before going to the RDW/MoT but as the nuts are really stuck and the RDW doesn't do a technical survey ( they only check the paperwork) I've applied for a dutch registration.

see what happens.
AntietamClassicCycle

Post by AntietamClassicCycle »

I think this type of wrench is likely to work better than others.

Available here: https://www.morinispecial.it/joomla/ind ... cle&id=177
Mepstein

Post by Mepstein »

Easy. MAP gas torch. Heat for a couple minutes, touch some paraffin to the threads (won’t evaporate like oil & wicks up the threads) heat some more. Tighten a millimeter then loosen.
lemans

Post by lemans »

thanks for all advice, as I have a vertical mill, dividing head and some spare time; I'm now making the italian spanner. also have the MAP-torch so it will get removed someday.
lemans

Post by lemans »

went to the MoT today and the morini has been checked and admitted for road use. have to wait for the licenseplate but that will take only a couple of days. so the season starts next week.
MickeyMoto

Post by MickeyMoto »

Just in time for the snow, ice and salt on the roads! :)

I hope, after all the work, you enjoy the bike, but doubt the handling will be explored this side of April.
huub

Post by huub »

nice job!
now have fun discovering all the weird extra's of morini ownership!
lemans

Post by lemans »

general question:

do all morini's have an electrical fueltap?.

at the moment I've connected my SWF-Ignition to the fueltap. So when you switch the bike to "on" the ignition is automatically powered. And this raises the question do all Morini's have an electric fueltap?.

regards Anne
huub

Post by huub »

the road models i have do have the electric tap.
but the early off road models have a weird combined 6v/12v sytem , with a 12 volt headlight running straight from the regulator , and a 6 volt battery for stop lights etc...
those lack the 12 volt battery to run the electric solenoid.
MickeyMoto

Post by MickeyMoto »

The later models (Kanguro, Excalibur) that I owned had a vacuum tap and a standard reserve tap. Most of the electric taps will, I expect, have broken by now, probably because the rubber membrane has hardened. Mine is working, but do worry it does not flow enough fuel at wider throttle openings.
lemans

Post by lemans »

MickeyMoto wrote: 04 Feb 2022 16:47 The later models (Kanguro, Excalibur) that I owned had a vacuum tap and a standard reserve tap. Most of the electric taps will, I expect, have broken by now, probably because the rubber membrane has hardened. Mine is working, but do worry it does not flow enough fuel at wider throttle openings.
mine isn't working either but used solely to power the ignition.
for all other models I've to find a different 12V-switched supply
lemans

Post by lemans »

https://swf-ignitionsystems.nl/wp-conte ... scaled.jpg
beautifull Italian Bike in typical dutch scenery

first ride this season, impressions are:
1. the speedometer is highly positive or all dutch started speeding overnight, will fit a bicycle-sigma
2. clutch, errrr, have to look into that one
3. front brakes are effective but lack of feel, smaller master brake cylinder? (or am I spoiled by the modern V85-brakes)
4. steering is just like the LMII, when shifting weight she's very nimble and stable, fun to ride.

could be the daily ride to and from work.