501XE Camel Brake Calipers and Master Cylinders

Ted

501XE Camel Brake Calipers and Master Cylinders

Post by Ted »

I just bought an 86 501XE Camel.For some reason, it has no brake calipers or master cylinders. The front brake handle/master cylinder is completely missing.

If anyone has some for sale or knows of others that make for simple retrofits, I'd be interested.
Tom

Re: 501XE Camel Brake Calipers and Master Cylinders

Post by Tom »

Hi Ted,

What's the distance between the attachments points/ bolt centre to centre of that left hand Grimeca caliper in metric?

I might have a good one.

I am in Holland though.

I have a Camel XE myself, but I want to make sure you have the same fork?

As for the master cylinder, anything that has a 13 (standard) or even 12, or 11 mm (?) ∅ piston inside, will do. Camel's have the Grimeca's, as used on late 70's. Zundapp's, but since the factory went down a couple of years ago, they are now obsolete.

Tom
julianharty

Post by julianharty »

I'm aware of a 501 Coguaro rolling chassis in England that's incomplete. I believe someone's already interested in it so the front caliper and master cylinder might already be spoken for. I have the rear system (and the rear caliper, a Brembo, has 95mm spacing between the mounting holes and fits my Kanguro X1 front disk mount). I'm planning to use the rear caliper, the other parts may be up for grabs.

I don't know how similar the 501XE Camel and 501 Coguaro are in terms of the rolling chassis. I'm discovering all sorts of variations in the front end of the disc braked Kanguros and have yet to assemble all the parts to fit a disc front end to my Kanguro X/X1.

Julian
'It must be a .....'

Post by 'It must be a .....' »

Hi, the brakes on the 501 XE Camel are different from the later e/start Camel 501 and the Coguaro 501
Yet they all have the same rear caliper mount so the rear caliper might be interchangeable?

The 501 XE Came 500 uses the same rear master cylinder as the road 500 (left rear brake/right gear change).
But the internal bore might be different?
Ted

Post by Ted »

Thanks. I can take and post some pictures of my bike (with dimensions) if that helps.

However, given that brakes seem to be in very short supply (and maybe not all that great in the first place) I am thinking I may be better off adapting brakes from another motorcycle that I can buy cheaper as a parts bike. The machining isn't particularly difficult to do, so that may be a simpler solution.

If anyone has a master cylinder and caliper (hoses are simple enough to have made locally) for front or rear, I would be interested, but I don't think I want to piecemeal the parts. At least, not at this point - I may change my mind.
'It must be a .....'

Post by 'It must be a .....' »

Hi, I can photograph the 501 XE calipers, master cylinders and the parts book pages if that helps?

If you send me a PM with your Email address I can Email the images etc; as cannot compress image files to a size/format that the forum likes!
Ted

Post by Ted »

PM sent! :)