Kanguro Gear Linkage Rod

Vitesse

Kanguro Gear Linkage Rod

Post by Vitesse »

So . . .
My new to me X0 Kanguro firstly displayed a shocking reluctance to pull away in first which I traced to a reversed gear linkage (!). I've corrected that but then it wouldn't change gear. This is because the rod from the changeover shaft under the bike to the shaft into the gearbox has been replaced by a length of thin mild steel threaded rod. Not surprisingly this has bent after a few gear changes. Before I search for a new one or just make one does anyone have a spare kicking about?

It's this bit. I'm not planning to buy a grotty one from Germany but it shows what I should have:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/272894725594 ... Swk~ZZ6bhR

Unfortunately this bike came from the previous owner's widow so I don't have the liberty of quizzing him about this and other anomalies!
hombre

Re: Kanguro Gear Linkage Rod

Post by hombre »

I have some stuff off an Excalibur lying around that's basically the same. I am in Amsterdam though. Let me know if you want pics etc.
'It must be a .....'

Post by 'It must be a .....' »

Hi, have a look here
https://uk.rs-online.com/web/ and search Rose Joint (rod end)
Also a source for cam belts

Hope this helps, have fun, Ian
simonnorthroad

Post by simonnorthroad »

I have PMed you
Vitesse

Post by Vitesse »

simonnorthroad wrote: 16 Oct 2021 07:43 I have PMed you
Replied thank you. For completeness it's "13.04.80 Gear Release Rod" - item 49 on page 8 of the parts catalogue that I need. Alternatively if anyone could measure theirs I'll thread a piece of plain rod.
Steve Brown

Post by Steve Brown »

If you don't get fixed up before next Tuesday, there is a certain X0 visiting my house for some minor adjustments late that afternoon.
We might be able to get a measurement for you then.
All donations to the rest home for old Camels, Leicestershire.
Vitesse

Post by Vitesse »

Steve Brown wrote: 16 Oct 2021 18:56 If you don't get fixed up before next Tuesday, there is a certain X0 visiting my house for some minor adjustments late that afternoon.
We might be able to get a measurement for you then.
Cheers. I've removed the existing one, which is 110mm but no guarantees that it is the right length. Horrid piece of threaded cheese string!

I thought I was sorted as amongst my piles of scrap/valuable parts (opinions vary) is a very nice rod from a GSXR750 which is about the right size. Unfortunately Suzuki were cleverer than Morini and threaded one end left handed for simple adjustment!
Ming

Post by Ming »

Can you buy a left handed rose joint?
Vitesse

Post by Vitesse »

Ming wrote: 17 Oct 2021 05:33 Can you buy a left handed rose joint?
Yes probably, but I was going down the route of using what I have or can easily get and retaining as much of what it on the bike. I have a Guzzi brake rod that I'll probably cut a thread on and use when I'm certain of the length required.
Steve Brown

Post by Steve Brown »

Vitesse wrote: 17 Oct 2021 12:21
Ming wrote: 17 Oct 2021 05:33 Can you buy a left handed rose joint?
Yes probably, but I was going down the route of using what I have or can easily get and retaining as much of what it on the bike. I have a Guzzi brake rod that I'll probably cut a thread on and use when I'm certain of the length required.
Yes, left hand threaded rose joints can be had from places like Simply bearings. I've just given up on rose joints though as I couldn't stop them working loose on the stud where it attaches to the levers. Seem fine on my Sport (which gets the nuts revved off it) but on my Camel they led to getting the tools out in the field twice. Maybe I'm less dainty footed on a trail bike?
All donations to the rest home for old Camels, Leicestershire.