Kanguro Fuel Tank Wanted

Ian_C

Kanguro Fuel Tank Wanted

Post by Ian_C »

My X1 Kanguro fuel tank is made from glass fibre and the ethanol in modern fuel is affecting it. I applied an internal sealer last year and this worked for a while but I now find that problems are repeating again in the form of blocked carb jets, sticky throttle slides and stiff throttle action if the bike is left standing for a few days. Does anyone have a metal or plastic (Not fibre glass) tank that they wish to part with?
1974 350 Strada
1975 350 Strada
1983 X1 Kanguro
hendre

Re: Kanguro Fuel Tank Wanted

Post by hendre »

does a X2 tank fit?
acemorini

Post by acemorini »

Hello Ian,
I think that I have some kangaro tanks, but which model they fit I don’t know, do you have any pictures of the tank you are after ?
Regards Pete.
Ian_C

Post by Ian_C »

Hi Pete and Hendre
The tank I currently have is a fairly chunky thing, see photo, I will try to take a few more photos tomorrow.
I am not that concerned that a replacement tank is identical in shape and size to the one I already have, as long as it is not glass fibre type.
Any help you can give is much appreciated.
Kanga at Col de Nargo.JPG
Kanga at Col de Nargo.JPG (298.98 KiB) Viewed 5739 times
1974 350 Strada
1975 350 Strada
1983 X1 Kanguro
acemorini

Post by acemorini »

Hello Ian,
I will have a look tomorrow.
Regards Pete.
hendre

Post by hendre »

I'm afraid the X2 tank will not fit
julianharty

Post by julianharty »

Ian,
I've a couple of X0/X1 tanks all in red with white decals so the same colours as you show here.

From what I understand the petrol tank on the X0 and X1 are identical and the ones from Moto Morini are in mild steel, not fibreglass. Yours looks a bit like a fibreglass one I bought recently from Italy that's significantly larger. I'll dig out the tanks, work out which are available, and can post photos here (one probably belongs to a project X1 I've got on a backburner).

My tanks seem to be mechanically sound (i.e. not rusted through or perished) they probably could do with being repainted. I'd hope that your filler cap would fit directly, otherwise we'd need to find a source of fuel filler cap seals as the rubber on the ones I've got need replacing. I'll elaborate on this next...

The filler caps have a rubber seal it's held in with a metal disc that's riveted with a hollow rivet through the centre. I've got plenty of neoprene and it's easy enough to create a replacement seal, the challenge for me has been in working out how to dismantle and reassemble the filler cap coping with the hollow rivet. You can see photos of what I'm talking about and read more in my recent post viewtopic.php?f=8&t=6549

BTW: There *is* a source of brand new petrol caps for the Kanguro tanks in Italy if necessary, last time I checked they were out of stock, and the cost by the time we've coped with shipping and VAT, handling fees, etc. means they may be close to £50 each.
MickeyMoto

Post by MickeyMoto »

hendre wrote: 17 Aug 2021 08:02 I'm afraid the X2 tank will not fit
Anything will fit, just needs modifying... hammer and welder required! :)
Ian_C

Post by Ian_C »

Hi Julian, Many thanks for your interest in my fuel tank problem, I have attached a few more photographs. Also thanks due to Pete who is also looking out for a fuel tank to suit. The problem with the rubber seal does not worry me unduly, a sheet of Viton can be used to cut out a suitable seal and Viton is Ethanol resistant, presumably Neoprene is too. I will add some photos of the filler cap which has a black plastic cover, see separate message.
DSCF7546 (2).JPG
DSCF7546 (2).JPG (174.11 KiB) Viewed 5664 times
DSCF7545 (2).JPG
DSCF7545 (2).JPG (141.47 KiB) Viewed 5664 times
DSCF7547 (2).JPG
DSCF7547 (2).JPG (144.58 KiB) Viewed 5664 times
1974 350 Strada
1975 350 Strada
1983 X1 Kanguro
Ian_C

Post by Ian_C »

Photos of the fuel tank filler cap which has a black plastic cover over a chrome twist off cap.
Attachments
DSCF7549.JPG
DSCF7549.JPG (169.94 KiB) Viewed 5664 times
DSCF7548.JPG
DSCF7548.JPG (144.87 KiB) Viewed 5664 times
1974 350 Strada
1975 350 Strada
1983 X1 Kanguro
hendre

Post by hendre »

MickeyMoto wrote: 17 Aug 2021 09:53
hendre wrote: 17 Aug 2021 08:02 I'm afraid the X2 tank will not fit
Anything will fit, just needs modifying... hammer and welder required! :)
could be if there is no other option left, but would it improve the looks?
MickeyMoto

Post by MickeyMoto »

You mean like people who take Botox to modify their faces?
julianharty

Post by julianharty »

Ian,
I've managed to find two tanks, I think I have a third one somewhere which I've yet to locate. They're all showing their age and probably could do with being repainted, etc. if you'd like to use them for many years. These two don't have fuel taps fitted. I probably have their fuel caps however the seal will have perished on them (which is why I asked for advice a few months ago on how to deal with the rivet that holds them together).

Of the two tanks I've tracked down, the one that's got some surface rust is the one that's easier for me to part with as I'd like to keep the other for my Kanguro X1/X0 project (that needs the frame straightening). Here's a link to photos of both https://photos.app.goo.gl/9h9PcSTejDrGPhVM6

In terms of the fuel caps, the cap you have is a non-standard one that doesn't have a breather hole through the centre - from what I've seen standard Kanguro ones do and they're held together by that breather pipe being riveted over the plate that secures the seal. I expect your cap would fit the standard tanks.

Pete (acemorini) may well have one or more complete tanks in at least as good condition as the ones I've located. He also lives closer to you I believe, so if he does offer you one then I suggest you accept. Otherwise if you're willing to have the one with some surface rust we can sort something out. I owe Pete (acemorini) a visit so could see about either meeting you near him or delivering it in person. I could also ask my local painters to blast and repaint it in a red similar to the current main colour, they've been good at single colour painting (so no stickers or logos, etc) and my K1 was painted by them a decade ago and the paint's still fine.
My main number is 07971 078 133 if you'd like a chat.
acemorini

Post by acemorini »

I think that I have a white tank like the one in the photo, just need to find it, emptied the front workshop the other week, so I know it’s not in there, I will carry on looking.
Regards Pete.
julianharty

Post by julianharty »

Pete, just checking, would the white tank be a fibreglass one or a steel one?

And if you happen to find a Kanguro X0/X1 frame that's straight and/or an X1 front end please keep them for me, as per our chat months ago...

I hope your search is fruitful.