New Style Starter - Part Wanted

jb666

New Style Starter - Part Wanted

Post by jb666 »

Evening all,

I've been investigating the upgrade/refurbishment of the new style starter mechanism fitted to the Kokusan ignition Morinis.

For those who don't know, this starter engages from a smaller motor via a two shaft sprag clutch assembly with a cush drive. The unfortunate thing is the cush drive material degrades and disintegrates over time (they are getting on for 30 years old!!), often making its presence known by bits in the sump and a rattling from the starter. NLM made an aluminium piece to replace the cush drive which did the job but after a few years has been known to disintegrate. I fitted one of these to my Coguaro and on the recent rebuild mine had indeed developed significant wear.

Now what am I after? Well to fit the NLM conversion you have to clean out the remains of the rubber cush drive and remove the metal containment ring to allow the new pieces to go on. As part of my investigations I have got hold of some cheeses (those who know will understand!!) made of Vulcolan 90 as originally specified by Ing Lambertini but not implemented by Cagiva more than likely due to cost. To fit these I need the containment ring and I'll be blowed if I can find the one I took off mine. I know I didn't throw it out but having cleared out all my hidey holes I have had to admit defeat.

So if anyone has a trashed unit with a containment ring I would be interested.

For those of you with the new style starter (Dart, Coguaro, Excalibur and New York) I hope to come up with an effective economic way of repairing the starter other than the laborious carving of bits of rubber or using bits of suitable diameter O ring.

John.
3potjohn

Re: New Style Starter - Part Wanted

Post by 3potjohn »

Immensely frustrating. Not hanging from a nail in the roof I suppose? You must retrace your steps.
I will be watching this space as though all my “cheeses” are intact it will only be a matter of time. I have a keel block from which I cut some rubber for another project. Whether or not that rubber would be up to bathing in hot oil I have no idea.
There was a set of gears on a variety of eBay a couple of months ago ( eBay.de I think) but I can only find the starter drive gear now.
Good luck
John
julianharty

Post by julianharty »

John,
do you need the containment ring temporarily or permanently? I have an entire LH casing with all the gears in (and a second, from Hombre on this forum, that doesn't have the gears) and I have the starter motor. They're waiting for me to work out how to fit everything in a K1 frame (the starter motor's too big as is). I want/need to keep what I have however if it'd be practical to help you out temporarily and if no-one else here is able to provide you with the part you want then let me know and I'll do what I can to help.

Julian
jb666

Post by jb666 »

Hi Julian,
I really need one permanently and to get one it involves physically dismantling the cush drive. When they make them they are all bonded together hence the request for a us one.

Thanks for the offer and I'll keep everyone updated on progress.

John.
julianharty

Post by julianharty »

John,
Benjy kindly measured a new cush drive he obtained to refurbish an engine for me. Here are a couple of photos. I've several more of the cush drive from other angles if they'd be useful.

How have you got on with your searching and plans?

Meanwhile I'm asking around to see if there'd be another one available to use for your schemes. Like you, I'm keen to help us find a viable, practical and inexpensive solution.

All the best

Julian
Photo of new cush drive
Photo of new cush drive
WhatsApp Image 2021-02-16 at 13.51.05.jpeg (157.48 KiB) Viewed 4067 times
Dimensions of a new cush drive
Dimensions of a new cush drive
WhatsApp Image 2021-02-16 at 14.03.46.jpeg (59.29 KiB) Viewed 4067 times
jb666

Post by jb666 »

Hi Julian,
Thanks for the info. I was lucky and Tom F had one that he has let me have.

I have also obtained a 3D printed item in Vulcollan from a guy in Italy that he had made by a friend. It is currently installed in the Coguaro but due to 'the current situation' and the poor weather I haven't been out to get it truly hot and oily to see how it reacts.

I have plenty of photos of it and will eventually scribble something for ATG.

John.
julianharty

Post by julianharty »

John,
Thank you for the positive updates. How practical would it be to obtain some more of the 3D printed ones? (independently of the current complications related to shipping stuff from Italy to the UK). And potentially if the relevant people in Italy were willing to share the details of how they printed it and the print file then another option is to explore getting some printed locally.

Ciao ciao

Julian
3potjohn

Post by 3potjohn »

Mine were OK last time I looked but I would be very keen to get a suitable set in Vulkollan as and when. I am not finding the kickstart approach entirely without issue.
John