Morini Ignition Switch -and key! Wanted

simonnorthroad

Morini Ignition Switch -and key! Wanted

Post by simonnorthroad »

I need a working Morini ignition switch and key
Must be 3 key-position/5 pole type please
Grateful for any leads or even info on any other 2970s Italian bikes that used the same. I was told Ducati GT750. Not so.
Tom

Re: Morini Ignition Switch -and key! Wanted

Post by Tom »

Hi Simon,

Seems to me that you are refering to the 4 pole CEV replica switch suitable to replace the CEV's of 860 Ducati:

https://www.bevelheaven.com/stuff-for-s ... itches.htm

I can confirm that they also work well on Morini's, but haven't looked 'behind' the switch, so not really into this material.

But i think that the 5 th pole of the Morini switch is just a simple ground terminal.

If you want, there is also an original 6 pole CEV switch there, or does that mess up things massively?

Looking at what you pay for the replica's on Ebay, asking the price at Bevelheaven is at your own risk :roll:

I wonder where the heaven thing stands for :mrgreen:

Tom
simonnorthroad

Post by simonnorthroad »

Thanks Tom. I think it's the 6 pole CEV in need in which case. I'll take another look at the rear of my switch. Certainly plenty of wires jammed in there...might be cheaper to get s locksmith to cut me a key from scratch for mine than pay Bevel Heaven prices! I have 2 Bevels. Heavenly when on song, which is not often
mbmm350s

Post by mbmm350s »

Hi Simon

If its a six pole, then consider removing the parking light facility and rewire it to use a standard four pole switch.
These four pole switches (as used on the 250-2C) are available everywhere because they are used on many many scooters.
just to find one with the right barrel diameter.

They have three positions (four terminals)
posn 1 engine off, light/accessories off
posn2 engine off lights/accessories on
posn3 engine on lights/accessories on

2 terminals shorts the ignition green to the blue earth engine off
2 terminals connect red to brown. lights/accessories on
This means the tail light/pilot light circuit needs to be connected to the switched live (brown) permanently. Its like the 250 circuit diagram.

Anyway if you can read the number off the switch housing you can get the key cut NLM used to be able to do it.

350 bucks for a switch wow, obviously made of ducats.

Do you have any parts of the original switch?

Mark
simonnorthroad

Post by simonnorthroad »

Hello Mark. Incredibly helpful.thamk you. That's just what I need: Off/on/on+lights for a 1974 morini. I don't need parking lights or owt. The switch that came with the bike (looks like the Bevel.Heaven one) seems to have 5 terminals on the back, not 6 weirdly, and is festooned with piggyback connectors, wires, in-line fuses etc.
mbmm350s

Post by mbmm350s »

Hi Simon

The four pole switch can't directly replace the 5 pole. That's because the 5 pole as on pre 77 Morinis turns on the lights with the engine on.
These bikes had no park light.
Later bikes had a handlebar switch for the lights on/off early bikes didn't.
So you need a handlebar lights on/off switch , do you have a lights on/off handlebar switch?

Check carefully my notes on the four pole
position 2 still has the engine off, that's for safety reasons, kills engine but leaves 12V+ lights on.

you can use a four pole to replace a 6 pole , after ditching the park lights.
On the six pole the positions being
position 1 engine off, pilot lights on, key removable
position 2 engine off, all lights off, key removable
position 3 engine on, 12V switched on. key not removable

I think i have a lock and key if you fancy dismantling the switch?
Mark
simonnorthroad

Post by simonnorthroad »

I really don't fancy dismantling a switch no! Thanks for yr kind offer though. My 1980 500 has the parking/off/ign on switch and later non snuffbox lights on + dip/main switch yr talking about. Generic switches are available on Fleabay if I have to resort to that
3potjohn

Post by 3potjohn »

Back in the day my key started coming loose so got a replacement from NLM. This had spade connectors which were very slightly narrower than the originals, which was annoying. At present I have off, ignition, ign + lights but maybe some reconfiguring might work better. This is a 6 pole switch however, there are some other 6 pole ones on eBay.de. I tried dismantling my old one to see if I could fix it. Less than successful!
John
bizzywizzy

Post by bizzywizzy »

I managed to dismantle the 6-pole switch on my 1978 Sport to fix an intermittent issue with my electrics stopping. One of the small springs inside had come out of place and was rolling around inside, from time to time it would cause a short and all the electrics died. With a good clean and careful reassembly all is working fine. It really wasn't too bad at all to work on.

MIke
Kamel

Post by Kamel »

I have a Honda Camino switch from EBay on mine. It has three positions. Off has two terminals connected, so you can use that to earth the ignition. 1- ignition only. 2 - ignition and lights (if you don't have the lights controlled from the handlebar switch).

example here:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/For-Honda-Ig ... SwI-BWH361

Cheers,

Kamel.
Steve Brown

Post by Steve Brown »

Kamel wrote:I have a Honda Camino switch from EBay on mine. It has three positions. Off has two terminals connected, so you can use that to earth the ignition. 1- ignition only. 2 - ignition and lights (if you don't have the lights controlled from the handlebar switch).

example here:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/For-Honda-Ig ... SwI-BWH361

Cheers,

Kamel.
I have a couple of those too, it's the one that NLM used to sell. Someone mentioned the spade connectors being smaller. They are 4.8mm I think but Vehicle Wiring Products stock them and I'm sure plenty of others too. The switch is a good fit in the dash panel and they seem reliable.
All donations to the rest home for old Camels, Leicestershire.
simonnorthroad

Post by simonnorthroad »

Thanks guys excellent. Thatd save me having to figure out rewiring for lights on and off at the handlebars.