Anyone in Straya looking for a 3½ Sport?

Morini related only please
Daddy Dom

Anyone in Straya looking for a 3½ Sport?

Post by Daddy Dom »

We currently have an embarrasment of riches here in NZ, three for sale at the mo. :shock:

All for sale on Trade Me.

I have no connection to any, I'm just amazed as I haven't seen a roadworthy Sport for sale in 15 years and these are all gorgeous!

DD
MRC 3082½
Vitesse

Re: Anyone in Straya looking for a 3½ Sport?

Post by Vitesse »

Just out of idle interest and for comparison, what are the prices?
julianharty

Post by julianharty »

Vitesse wrote: 25 Jul 2022 13:42 Just out of idle interest and for comparison, what are the prices?
  • 14,000 NZD for a double disc wire wheel Other Moto Morini 3 1/2 Sport 1976https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/motors/moto ... 3689443315 This one has lots of one-off parts, many made by the current owner. It has a Strada top yoke. I like the custom rearsets and the very unusual but apparently original seat.
At today's exchange rate 14,000 NZD is around £7,280 GBP, so I doubt there'll be any buyers from the UK for any of these.
Daddy Dom

Post by Daddy Dom »

Thanks for the links, Julian.
So, there was never an official NZ importer during the V-twin era. They all were privately imported by owners, mostly at great expense and with punitive taxation on arrival.

Price comparisons with another country's marketplace are slippery - you just can't do it. Vehicles in NZ hold a relatively higher value as every one was shipped here at one time. Comparatively speaking, in the UK, Moto Morini V-twins grow on trees (lol) and are priced accordingly. Also, UK owners can restore one far more economically due to no overseas postage costs. So, no, nobody in their right mind would import any of these back to the UK. Hence my subject-heading.

In the case of the Webb's auction one, it's in beautiful, original condition - except the shocks and 'bars. It was imported in-period from the Australian importer by someone well-known in the local racing scene as his road bike. To the best of my knowledge, no other Moto Morini were registered new in NZ in period, though some were brought back from Australia by their owners. This makes that bike potentially unique. It hasn't been ridden in a few years so may need some minor recommissioning.
(Not sure where the confusion lies in spoke/cast wheels, those links all get me to the double-disc/spoked bike.)

I've never met that one imported from the UK but every Morini here is imported from somewhere (other than Italy). Mine was from Italy ->Japan -> NZ. Possibly someone with spare funds imported it on a punt in lockdown to try and resell. In any case, I don't think I've ever seen another genuine double-drum Sport in NZ and they're pretty rare in any country nowadays. We have a few Sportised Stradas, though.

The one with bespoke rearsets and 2-1 is freshly-restored by a Morini lifetimer and restorer-engineer and is ready to ride with a great many new parts. It was assembled from a non-matching frame and engine so is getting a second life.

In fifteen years owning mine, I have lost count many times over the number of times I was asked where to buy one, so hopefully these will make someone happy.

So something for everyone there!
MRC 3082½
Vitesse

Post by Vitesse »

Thanks both, all very interesting.
Daddy Dom wrote: 25 Jul 2022 21:30
Price comparisons with another country's marketplace are slippery - you just can't do it. Vehicles in NZ hold a relatively higher value as every one was shipped here at one time. C
It was just curiosity. Does explain the logic of a mate of mine shipping his bike over there for a 4 week ride round rather than buying one though.