Flywheel puller

Morini related only please
MickeyMoto

Re: Flywheel puller

Post by MickeyMoto »

Will it not depend on who made the puller? If it was some old geezer from the 1950s with a roll up hanging from the edge of the mouth, still wearing a tie under the brown dust coat, a mug of tea on the bench then it is probably UNC or even Whitworth! Any old British bike shops near who could help? If it was an ex British Leyland person, then a self tapper was probably used!
hombre

Post by hombre »

It looks a lot like the one you had on sale Mr. Mickey, anyone have any idea? I've been pulling of flywheels with my bare hands for a while now (or well: trying)
MickeyMoto

Post by MickeyMoto »

I'll have a look at mine later. Rain coming in so a good garage day.
hombre

Post by hombre »

Thanks Mike!
BumbleBee

Post by BumbleBee »

I would guess the central bolt is about M12 in the pukka version, with a hardened ball tip often, I guess to reduce friction or reduce damage maybe to the end of the shaft. Certainly don't just leave the end of the bolt the irregular shape it probably is as sold off the shelf. Also if you have access to one, a "grade 10" bolt might last longer than a regular "grade 8" bolt. I agree with Mickymoto about what thread the bolt in a puller is likely to be.
3potjohn

Post by 3potjohn »

I also have two of these pullers. One for each bike perhaps?
I can corroborate rain coming in, having just driven to the foreign land. Unusually there they are celebrating a sheep reaching 22 years old but I have reluctantly turned down visiting this exciting spectacle.
I always make very sure of the cleanliness and fit of the threads on the puller and likewise clean the shaft before refitting the rotor.
John
MickeyMoto

Post by MickeyMoto »

3potjohn wrote: 30 Sep 2022 14:43 I also have two of these pullers. One for each bike perhaps?
I can corroborate rain coming in, having just driven to the foreign land. Unusually there they are celebrating a sheep reaching 22 years old but I have reluctantly turned down visiting this exciting spectacle.
I always make very sure of the cleanliness and fit of the threads on the puller and likewise clean the shaft before refitting the rotor.
John
Is 22 a bit old for you? Prefer them younger? Another 18 years and it'll be MoT free.
MickeyMoto

Post by MickeyMoto »

BumbleBee wrote: 30 Sep 2022 09:02 I would guess the central bolt is about M12 in the pukka version, with a hardened ball tip often, I guess to reduce friction or reduce damage maybe to the end of the shaft. Certainly don't just leave the end of the bolt the irregular shape it probably is as sold off the shelf. Also if you have access to one, a "grade 10" bolt might last longer than a regular "grade 8" bolt. I agree with Mickymoto about what thread the bolt in a puller is likely to be.
M12 is a good guess. An M10 is too small and M14 too large. I think the thread is 2mm but coarse should be 1.75m . I'll dig out the hernia gauge tomorrow. I have no M12 nuts, but the front wheel spindle may be M12, 19mm spanner.
MickeyMoto

Post by MickeyMoto »

My one is M12 coarse thread. That does not mean that yours will be! :)

None of my bikes have an M12 wheel spindle.
hombre

Post by hombre »

MickeyMoto wrote: 02 Oct 2022 14:54 My one is M12 coarse thread. That does not mean that yours will be! :)

None of my bikes have an M12 wheel spindle.
So that's the 1.75 version? I think I have to go that hardwareshop again...
MickeyMoto

Post by MickeyMoto »

Unfortunately, I have not been able to ascertain the pitch, but it is over 1.5mm but under 2mm.
hombre

Post by hombre »

okay Mike, thanks for taking the trouble!