Kanguro 350 ignition question

Morini related only please
sikadellic

Kanguro 350 ignition question

Post by sikadellic »

Hello folks, So a while ago i got this Kanguro, a non runner, so i spent some time and eventually replaced the 6 pole ignition and she ran, now it has been two years or more, and all the learning i did about the electrics has gone the way of my hair..... ! remember i couldn't turn it off and had to choke it to a stop, , having re read some replies for help i now understand that the 12 volts gets sent to earth to kill the engine,
So could anyone out there tell me on the six pole ignition, what goes to where in numbers on the wiring diagram, i.e. 1 goes to 6 when in the off position, etc thanks in advance. Simon
]It is NEVER too late for a happy childhood.
Steve Brown

Re: Kanguro 350 ignition question

Post by Steve Brown »

NO NO NO! STOP NOW!
The ignition will get ruined, completely buggered and broke, dead, lifeless and absolutely NOT working if you send it 12volts!
The battery and lighting circuits are completely separate from the ignition circuit. The ignition is killed by it's own separate low tension circuit being earthed by the key switch or the handlebar kill switch (if you have one)
So get a multimeter set to resistance (ohms) and with the ignition switch in the OFF position, test which terminals have continuity. There should be one pair only with continuity in that position, and they will be the ignition circuit terminals. Standard wiring colours there are Green (ignition low tension) and Blue (earth to frame/chassis) These are likely to go on terminals 1 & 2 on the switch but don't take that as gospel as the switch may have been changed, or my memory of the numbers could be faded. You really need a good copy of the manual or search the Dutch forum particularly for diagrams and also look at You Tube videos from our own members Paul Compton and Soren in Denmark.

With key in OFF position (e.i. so it can be withdrawn from the lock) the other terminal should NOT have continuity.

Did I mention that the CDI boxes will be wrecked if you give them 12 volts? It's worth remembering that and fitting a diode to protect them from current being sent where it should never go. Especially the 12 volts or what ever is in your battery. Your Kanguro could be 6 volt or 12 volt. ^ volts is enough to spoil them too.
All donations to the rest home for old Camels, Leicestershire.
Steve Brown

Post by Steve Brown »

You'll probably find this post gets moved to the other forums like the 'Off Road' forum. Unless you are selling this bike now you've roasted the ignition system? In which case I'll offer a tenner to open the bidding.
sikadellic

Post by sikadellic »

Thanks Steve, I believe you helped me out before, So thank you again, and i apologize if this is going over old ground, So please bare with me while i get this straight in my head again, the blue and green ARE connected when the ignition is off, earthing out the 12 volts, killing the engine, The Red live from the 6 volt battery connects to the lights horn and tail, the colours i have left are yellow yellow/green, and Brown
I know that the that yellow / green are the 6 volt bulbs ..... so as above red should connect to them, that leaves just Brown and yellow so are they 6 volts too ? Or does the 12volts, go down one of them ?
APOLOGIES FOR POSTING IN THE WRONG SPOT now i know where i should be posting i will put future questions in the off road section,
P,S, The bike is sold providing i can get her running again,
Steve Brown

Post by Steve Brown »

That's ok, yes-the blue and green are connected when the ignition is off. This is the ignition circuit but it isn't either 6 or 12 volt DC-it's an AC circuit supplied by the flywheel coil. Not the battery!
I think you're on the right track with the other colours which will be battery fed.
I'm confused now about which Kanguro you have. Is it a kickstart only version? Or is it an electric start model?

If it's a kick only model then it would have been 6 volts for the tail light, pilot light, instrument lights, indicators, brake light, hooter etc. The only 12 volt was AC and supplied the Headlamp main beam and dip (the blue idiot light on the dash would be 12 volt too)

If it's an electric start version then all the lights were 12 volt DC supplied by the battery. A big battery at that.

All the air-cooled V-twins had an ignition separate from the battery. A single coil in the flywheel charges the transducers (CDI) boxes under the tank. Then the pick up on the camshaft does the triggering or what the points did in the old days.
Steve Brown

Post by Steve Brown »

Also meant to say that the red is the feed from the battery to the main switch, yes.
Brown is the switched live, so when switched to on the brown is live. This feeds the indicators and stop light, hooter etc.
Yellow/green is tail lights, pilot and instrument illumination.
If a kick only model I think there is a grey wire taking the 12 volts AC direct from the flywheel to the light and dip switch. You really need to check a wiring diagram though-this is all from a rubbish memory!

Good luck with it-they can be a pain to get your head round!
sikadellic

Post by sikadellic »

Steve your memory is spot on, its a kick start only model, 1984, although the closest wiring diagram i can find has a starter motor, I think i should be ok with the great info you have given me, so thank you for taking the time to reply. S
P.S it has a diode fitted, so hopefully, it is just pining for the fjords and not left this mortal coil.