Anyone got one?

Anything to do with the 650 'off-road' bikes
Steve Brown

Anyone got one?

Post by Steve Brown »

I'd like to know more about this bike and maybe test ride one. Has anyone here actually bought one yet? Any feedback?
All donations to the rest home for old Camels, Leicestershire.
corsaro chris

Re: Anyone got one?

Post by corsaro chris »

Hi Steve;

Still under development, which has probably been delayed by the current situation over the pandemic. I'd guess that they would be available at the start of the 2021 season, but would be happy to be corrected by those more knowledgeable!

Good riding, and enjoy your green lane day!

CC
"I'll use the Morini"
Steve Brown

Post by Steve Brown »

corsaro chris wrote:Hi Steve;

Still under development, which has probably been delayed by the current situation over the pandemic. I'd guess that they would be available at the start of the 2021 season, but would be happy to be corrected by those more knowledgeable!

Good riding, and enjoy your green lane day!

CC
Thanks Chris, point taken about the virus situation. I'd just hoped that as they were shown sometime last year (I think) there would be a few on the road or in the shops by now. If it's as good looking in real life and is reasonably light I could be seriously interested.

Good riding to you too, and thanks-I'm sure we'll enjoy ourselves on the 31st. Looks like we can expect 6 bikes and riders on the day. So I'll definitely be laying claim to a new world record.
Even the weather looks to be about perfect. If I can work out how to post pics or get some child to do it the evidence should be on here a day or two after the event.
nickst4

Post by nickst4 »

Not so much the obligatory ADV beak as a wonky konk: only a face a mother could like, I think! :roll: The red/white/black colour-scheme seems a trifle overdone, regardless of its retro Morini inspiration. Sigh...

Nick
rossguzzi

Post by rossguzzi »

Looks are alway going to be a personal thing. I like it.
But I think they should seriously redesign the front brake lines. If you ride this in thick sticky mud, you can expect the guard to rip of its mounts in a forward direction, leaving the brake lines to catch on the tyre acting as a brake. Over the bars you go. :shock:
It has happened to some KTM 990 riders in the past. When I had one, I fitted a high guard.
Otherwise it needs a decent bash plate. But no manufacturer fits one of those as standard. :evil:
I hope they do well, but they are pushing it uphill as there are so many mid size adv bikes around now with dealer networks behind them. Sadly Morini will struggle with this aspect.
'It must be a .....'

Post by 'It must be a .....' »

Looks like the X Cape is based on the CF Moto 650 MT?
Steve Brown

Post by Steve Brown »

If I did buy one of these it would be for tarmac use only. I hadn't even noticed the brake lines thing and never knew about the risks either! That's probably because I've never been close to a KTM of any sort. Too fast for me when they're standing still.
You're right Ian, a CF Moto engine based on a Kawasaki design. I suppose by the time they do release these (if they ever do) I'll be too far over that hill to be in the market. More likely I'd be checking out the real lightweights!
MickeyMoto

Post by MickeyMoto »

The new CF engine is already a 700! 650 is old hat...

Maybe Morini should have bought the Norton 650 twin engine.

Buy a 1200!
Steve Brown

Post by Steve Brown »

MickeyMoto wrote:The new CF engine is already a 700! 650 is old hat...

Maybe Morini should have bought the Norton 650 twin engine.

Buy a 1200!
I wouldn't want anything associated with that lot! (Donington Norton I mean)
MickeyMoto

Post by MickeyMoto »

Norton sold the rights to a Chinese company, I believe...
Steve Brown

Post by Steve Brown »

MickeyMoto wrote:Norton sold the rights to a Chinese company, I believe...
They did yes. Not sure they were a fit company to design an engine though. The Chinese firm would certainly have been a better place to start a design project as I'm sure it was one of the big firms there. I reckon the real deal was just to get the rights to use the brand name on an engine. Norton claimed to have a design ready but they claimed a lot of things that turned out to be false or even fantasy. Didn't the Chinese firm eventually get to buy Norton up completely? I stopped following the sad story a while ago...
julianharty

Post by julianharty »

Steve Brown wrote: 23 Aug 2020 20:18 I'd like to know more about this bike and maybe test ride one. Has anyone here actually bought one yet? Any feedback?
So nearly 2 years on, does anyone on this forum own one of the X-cape's yet? Now they're actually for sale I'd love to hear of owners' experiences.
MickeyMoto

Post by MickeyMoto »

Julian, the new owners are either new to Morini and do not know about the MRC or are busy riding and enjoying them...
Steve Brown

Post by Steve Brown »

Maybe we should just book our own test rides, as Mike did?
ben_wylie

Post by ben_wylie »

Hi

There are a few out there now, we have 2 Demo`s at our Stoke-on-Trent shop which you are welcome to come and take out. We will be at Cadwell on Wednesday with both Demo bike too, plus one of each colour for display.

Cheers
Ben Wylie
Moto Hub