brake bleed nipple

The 3 1/2 forum
eekzoids

brake bleed nipple

Post by eekzoids »

Morini 3.5 K (1982)

Hi all, my brake bleed nipple is leaking. Its a Grimeca caliper on left hand side. Went through the whole system looking for a leek then of course its right at the opposite end where I started! . I have seen this topic mentioned somewhere so I guess its a common fault. Anyone know the cause/remedy here?
Thought I'd try you guys first, as daytime calls to NLM from Ireland start adding up after a while

cheers John O'Eekzoids
EVguru

Post by EVguru »

The early style use a ball bearing under the bleed screw, rather than a cone end. They often don't seal well if you get dirt/corrosion in there.
Paul Compton
http://www.morini-mania.co.uk
http://www.youtube.com/user/EVguru
stuart

bleed nipples

Post by stuart »

not my original posting but...this does beg the question, can I replace the old style bleed nipple/ball bearing combo with a normal bleed nipple in the same Grimeca caliper? Thanks, Stuart
3potjohn

Post by 3potjohn »

I replaced mine with stainless ones but there was a slight weep- due to corroded ballbearings as mentioned. I was unaware the little blighters were even in there for some months.A few trial ones from "bloke round the corner" and all is well.
eekzoids

brake bleed nipple

Post by eekzoids »

Thanks for that info..I had no idea about the ball bearing thing. I shall investigate further.
Is there a workshop manual for 3.5? I have the blue manual thats bi lingual...don't think it discusses brakes in that much detail, didn't even think to look..I'm used to small jap bikes before this and they are all pretty similar.
Does Clymer do a manual perhaps?