wisps of white smoke

The 3 1/2 forum
moolfreet

wisps of white smoke

Post by moolfreet »

Hello,
Finally managed t get the Sport up the 35 degree slope and out of the underground garage where she's been languishing for the last 3 months.
Good result - but having been for a quick spin I noticed wisps of whiteish smoke from the exhaust pipe coming from the rear cylinder when I stopped.

What could be the cause of it?

Any suggestions gratefully received

nick
hendre

Post by hendre »

white smoke usually means oil or water, could be that there was condensation water in the exhaust or the piston rings may be a bit stuck on your rear cilinder
3potjohn

Post by 3potjohn »

A short ride may have just vapourised some water.Heavy white smoke may indicate oil burned off via valves. My experience is blue-black smoke when there is piston ring problems, particularly after running down something we have locally called Telegraph Hill. (On Tridents, not my Morini)
moolfreet

thanks for the tips

Post by moolfreet »

Thanks to both of you for the tips - I think the compression is a bit low on the back cylinder but it was the one that wasn't running properly for a while - well, not running at all actually, which is why it wouldn't make it up the ramp out of the garage. :roll:

Though the compression values from the book are 11:1 is that realistic for a possibly slightly worn out 30 year old bike? If they're low it could be the piston rings, gasket or valves, is that right?

André - how's that Cagiva cafe racer project of yours going? Still haven't got round to fitting all those parts you sold me but I'm working on it - it's just that work gets in the way a bit too often

nick