failing petrol tap solenoid - but its the electics!

The 3 1/2 forum
stuart

failing petrol tap solenoid - but its the electics!

Post by stuart »

riding home from a meet last week, the bike was singing nicely... until it ran out of petrol, only the tank was nearly full! Switched reserve on, it started nicely and went all the way home.

Looked at it this weekend. Absent was the familiar CLICK as I turned on the ignition. Checked the connectors to the solenoid, then put an electrical tester across the terminals. No change in current whether ignition switch on or off? Checked the fuses, all OK. Before I start tracing back the wiring against a diagram, is there anything obvious I should be looking for?
Thanks, Stuart
ringer

Post by ringer »

You say you were measuring the current, but what about the voltage across the solenoid terminals? Is it zero with ignition switched off and then 12V (approx) when the ignition is switched on? If not, then check the earth wire - one wire should supply 12V, the other goes to earth. Get a length of wire and connect the battery negative to the earth terminal on the solenoid (make sure you get the right terminal by tracing the wires), then switch on the ignition. If it still doesn't work, disconnect that wire, and connect it from the battery positive to the feed terminal on the solenoid. No need for the ignition, it ought to click straight away.
If it still doesn't click then the solenoid pin has probably got stuck. They tend to corrode after a number of years and then become 'sticky' The click that you normally hear is actually the pin hitting the end of the solenoid at speed. Take off the tank and remove the tap/solenoid assembly. Strip it down to check the freedom of the pin. See http://www.morini-riders-club.com/thebi ... rotap.html Use wet/dry to remove any surface corrosion on the pin. Be careful with the diaphragm - old ones tend to tear easily. And don't lose the small spring that sits on the bottom of the pin. Whilst the solenoid is disconnected from the tap, connect up the wires to check it 'sucks in' the pin.
Nick - 1979 500 Strada
stuart

Petrol tap solenoid

Post by stuart »

Sorry, perhaps I wasnt clear in what I'd done...

I disconnected the wires and used a bulb across the wires to see it it lit when I turned the ignition on (which it didnt) therefore it appears to be the wiring rather than the solenoid.

I'll try the reverse option by putting an alternate 12v supply to the solenoid and see if it 'clicks'.....
ringer

Post by ringer »

OK, so looks like its most likely a dodgy earth connection, a broken wire, or a problem with the ignition switch. Only way to find out is to trace and test the wiring. To be sure, first connect the battery direct to the solenoid to confirm that it is not the problem.
Nick - 1979 500 Strada