Kick-start Stuck

The 3 1/2 forum
Russell

Kick-start Stuck

Post by Russell »

'Morning All, I used to be a member with my 350 Sport about 1981 - 1990, not sure when I lapsed. Re-joined early this year. I still have the Sport though it has not run for an embarrassingly long time. The kickstart doesn't turn the engine, ergo the kickstart goes the 18mm and no further. The engine can be turned with a socket on the rotor (I fitted a new cambelt), and in first gear the sprocket revolves (as I had hoped!). I have the blue Manual. How much dismantling do I have to do and what do I look for? That's the question I'd like to put to the tre-e-mezzo forum.
Many thanks,
Regards,
Russell.
1981 Sport
ringer

Post by ringer »

Russell, I have a 500 but I'm pretty sure it will be the same procedure for your 350.

You need to take off the magnetic pickup rotor from the end of the camshaft (under the small cover on the LH crankcase). Mark the position carefully before removing it.
Disconnect the clutch cable and remove the LH footrest. Take off the kickstart lever and remove the clutch cover plate from the LH crankcase.
Remove the clutch. You will need to make up a tool (detailed in the blue book) to remove the clutch spring nuts. You also need a tool to hold the clutch still (again, refer to the blue book) and a 25mm socket to remove the main clutch nut (may be different size on the 350). The clutch outer basket is still attached. It is connected to the primary gear which is just the other side (inside) of the crankcover. Undo the LH crankcover (you did drain the oil first, right?) and pull it off. The clutch basket and primary gear will come with it. You will now be able to see the kickstart mechanism - watch out as you remove the crankcover - if you knock the kickstart then the spring will pop off.

Reinstalling everything is slightly more complex but it is detailed in the blue book. Note - the blue book omits to tell you to put a compete turn in the kickstart assembly to pre-tension the spring. A tricky operation - see other posts in the forum for more detail. I strongly recommend that you replace the crankcover gasket, the pickup oil seal, the clutch oil seals (both of them - installation tool reqd - again, see the blue book).

If you're reasonably mechanically competent this should not be a problem - just give yourself plenty of time. The main problem you will face will be obtaining/making the special tools reqd. There are other members in Newcastle - contact them for help in borrowing tools.

Best of luck - let us know what you find. Oh yes, and take lots of pictures as you go on. Very useful for the reassembly. And share them with us too!

If this link works, you can see my pictures as an example - check out the subfolders on clutch and kickstart.

http://s329.photobucket.com/albums/l379 ... er/Morini/

Best of luck, and if you hit any problems, just post a question on this forum.
Nick - 1979 500 Strada
Russell

Kick-start Stuck

Post by Russell »

Thanks ringer, for your careful instructions/advice. I WILL take pics, digi-cameras are good for that, and I'll report back but please don't hold your breath, I'm notoriously slow. Regards, Russell.
1981 Sport