Running rich

The 3 1/2 forum
bikesian65

Running rich

Post by bikesian65 »

Hi All

I am resurecting my K2 from the backof the garage ( dont know why I stopped riding it) - after a bit of work she fired up second kick but is running very rich and there is some unburnt fuel weeping from the silencers - any advice? ( the alternator was rewound and I have an excellent spark etc) - I suspect a carb strip and clean up is on the cards - soes this sound like a stuck choke ?

any advice gratfully recived

Ian
SteveMRC
Site Admin

Post by SteveMRC »

How long has it been unused?
Did you drain the carbs before storing it?

I left mine unused for nearly 4 years :oops: before deciding to get it road legal again late last year.
Unleaded fuel goes off pretty quickly and leaves behind varnishes and green gunk.
I ended up replacing both carbs with brand new ones, it was easier and about the same cost as full rebuilds with all new jets etc.
dellorto.co.uk have all the bits you need.
EVguru

Post by EVguru »

Could be a number of things.

I'd strip and utrasonic clean the carbs first and then start trying to chase the problem.
Paul Compton
http://www.morini-mania.co.uk
http://www.youtube.com/user/EVguru
bikesian65

carbs

Post by bikesian65 »

Have had the float bowls off and there was some crud in the choke system passage in the float bowl - will strip the carbs and take them into work to put into an ultrasonic bath - will keep you informed of progress

Hopefully I will get the bike back on the road for a summer of riding the lanes :) ( I am in cornwall -lots of unspoilt byways and minor roads to buzz around) and then work on the cosmetics ( think the creature from the black lagoon) over the winter :(
3potjohn

Post by 3potjohn »

Well maybe once you are up and running we could arrange some kind of a meet, and I may be prepared to cross the Tamar. Which end are you?
bikesian65

Carbs

Post by bikesian65 »

I am in south East Cornwall - near the Tamar Valley - almost a stones throw from Devonshire!

Ian