Floating Disc Conversion - Problems

The 3 1/2 forum
Jem

Floating Disc Conversion - Problems

Post by Jem »

I've been speaking to the manufacturer of a floating disc brake which some of us have fitted.

If you have this mod (normally sold by Thersby Group on eBay) and have not been contacted please contact the manufacturer immediately. He has kits to fix the problem which will be sent out shortly or you can return the disc to him for modification at no cost.

The problem was found on racing Ducatis for which the disc conversion was first developed and which must have a harder time than most road bikes.

I have spoken to the manufacturer and he is genuinely concerned that customers get the modification.

I am posting this comment in case there are owners who have changed e-mail address or bought a bike with this modification in the last few months.

If you have any concerns please feel free to contact me in the first place.

Jem
morinipete

Brakes

Post by morinipete »

Hi Jem I've got the discs (but don't know if I've been contacted, as out of the country at present). What is the problem exactly ?????

Cheers

Pete
Jem

Post by Jem »

Pete,

two problems. First, The bobbins which hold the disc to the carrier were made from the wrong material & wear very quickly. Second, when the pads get very worn the metal tangs at the bottom (I've no idea what these are for) contact the bobbins.
Roy is about to send out replacement kits but if you're not sure return the discs to him, he'll make the change himself and refund the postage.

Still waiting for that visa?

Jem
morinipete

Brakes

Post by morinipete »

Thanks, as it looks like I'll only be getting to the UK a day or two before Cadwell I'll probably have to use the bike as it is (but as if only done about 20 miles on the dsics/pads it'll be no problem).

Yes still waiting in Delhi for in Iran visa, which isn't gonna be coming anytime soon by the look of it. 38 degrees yesterday...........oh for grey skies and drizzle.....
TonyH

Post by TonyH »

Hi Jem, you don't have any contact details for Thersby do you? As i have not heard anything from them?

Thanks
Jem

Post by Jem »

Thersby Group are at 77 Norton Road, Stockton On Tees, Cleveland TS18 2DA. Phone: 01642612784

There is an e-mail address but I have never had a reply - tgi@btconnect.com.

Try phoning during the day - you should get an answer.

Cheers,

Jem
Jem

Post by Jem »

This is an update. Roy has sent/is sending replacement parts out now - I received mine today.

Fitting them is straight forward although getting the circlips to sit in the groove needed help (pressing with a 14mm socket, as suggested by Roy, was necessary every time).
I've done under 1,600 miles since fitting the disc and there was noticeable wear - the coating (anodising?) on the old buttons was worn through and there was white dust from corrosion.

He has asked for the old buttons & pads to be returned to him though it's not clear why; I'll check with him tomorrow. He's said that postage will be refunded though given what he's done so far I'm not that bothered.

If you haven't been contacted, or have but not received replacements, please contact Roy; I suspect a phone call will be quicker than e-mail. Remember, Roy is happy to fit the replacement parts himself at no extra cost if you have any doubts about your own ability to do the job.

Jem