bushes and spindle

The 3 1/2 forum
dougi

bushes and spindle

Post by dougi »

yesterday i removed the wingarm of the bike to check the swingarm bushes and swingarm spindle for play. i have new bushes to fit the swingarm, but, the play of the new bushes and the bushes in the swingarm are the same amount play :?: is normal before fitting new bushes :?:
morinipete

Bushes

Post by morinipete »

Press the bushes into the swinging arm and they should be tight as a ducks, wosname. You'll be surprised how much 'give' there is in that there bronze. If you use a new spindle, you won't get it in, you'll need to ream the bushes.

Saying that, if you're lucky, your old spindle will be a 'little bit' worn and you might get away with it as it is (i.e. old spindle will just fit newly pressed in bushes).

If there is any play though you'll need a new spindle as well (which'll push the cost up nicely !)

Pete
morinipete

Bushes

Post by morinipete »

.............Sorry that didn't quite come out right.

What I was also trying to say is if your present spindle is spot on, you'll have to ream those new bushes anyway, as it'll not fit in (even though the bushes feel loose on it, in their unfitted state)

Pete
dougi

Post by dougi »

thanks for the input, is there an easy/cheap way of removing the old bushes :?: big hammer :?: bench vice :?:
morinipete

bushes

Post by morinipete »

Sorry, last time I did it, as I needed a new spindle as well, I just took it to NLM to get it all fitted, reamed, etc, at the same time.....but I guess you could knock them out from the other end with a drfit and a blow lamp (and a big Birmingham screwdriver)............ :lol:
EVguru

Post by EVguru »

You can use a vice with suitable spacers and tubes. I prefer to use a length of threaded rod to draw them in and out.

Getting the bushes out is quite easy. Putting the new ones in straight is more tricky. You need to have a 'feel' for how much effort it should take and stop if something feels wrong. Once the bushes are in, you need to ream them, both to size and in line.

The last bush job I did was an experiment. A solid stainless spindle (no provision for lubrication) and PTFE bushes. Normally these would be considered too soft, PTFE having a tendancy to cold flow. However at 50mm wide, they seem to be holding up well. If they do give trouble I'll get hold of some glass reinforced PTFE.

Don't forget to set the side clearance properly.
Paul Compton
http://www.morini-mania.co.uk
http://www.youtube.com/user/EVguru
dougi

Post by dougi »

theaded rod :?: 10mm :?: that sounds easy
norbert

Post by norbert »

Often the problem (or one of those) is, that the spindle is worn. Sometimes it helps for to pas one more season just to schange the position of teh spindel, just turning the spindle a cuarter or half way around.

cia norbert