Should this happen?

The 3 1/2 forum
watfordwolf

Should this happen?

Post by watfordwolf »

I'm just doing my first belt change. Everything seemed OK but the engine felt tight on the kickstart and the electric start wouldn't engage.
I've stripped it down again and found that the engine rotates fine without the rotor on, but tightens up when it is replaced. It aslo makes quite a loud squeeking noise when I turn the engine over using the nut on the end of the shaft.
Is the noise normal and should the engine feel fairly tight? If not any idea what I have done wrong?

Thanks

Derek
robinh44

Post by robinh44 »

Derek

I had a similar issue when I tried to fit an MZB rotor and coils to my Morini, on mine the rotor magnets were rubbing on the coil former. Check the rotor is lined up with the key on the shaft and is sitting square, you should be able to turn over the engine by using the rotor . If you have already fitted or someone else has fitted an MZB replacement I had two different units off them and could not get either of the rotors to turn without catching its magnets on the coil formers.

Regards

Robin
1984 Kanguro X1 home built special.
'Using yesterday's technology to create tomorrow's problem's today'
dunk 1

Post by dunk 1 »

check that the stator is positioned correctly - i put back mine the other day and it wasnt quite alligned and was so slightly pushed out at the base and so the magnets sqeaked against the rotor - Duncan
dunk
SupermotoDave

Post by SupermotoDave »

Check the stator plate is repositioned correctly! The rotor will only go on in the same place due to the taper so something else will have moved and that must be the stator plate.
The engine should not feel tight except for compresion and valve springs, and turns over easily by hand using the rotor.
You know it was OK when you started and you used all the same bits with none left over!
Good luck
David