Slippery starter solution?

The 3 1/2 forum
Misha

Slippery starter solution?

Post by Misha »

Have any of you tried to drill some small holes - like in a brake disc - in the outer rim where the starter shoes grips, to let the dust out?

I only had a few days on the road with my rebuilt -78 sport last year, and when the starter began to slip, i only had to wipe the dust away, and the bite was back again.
So, any thoughts on this idea?
3potjohn

Post by 3potjohn »

I have found it necessary to wipe the contact area with a rag soaked in something like carb cleaner . It does pick up dirt and oil from time to time. I would worry about weakening the metal. Still cannot decide whether to leave the starter motor on or remove it.
hendre

Post by hendre »

I managad to get better grip by sanding down the inner drum with coarse sandpaper.
EVguru

Post by EVguru »

Which starter shoes do you have?

The later one were much heavier.

With the later shoes and a good AGM battery (Hawker Odysey) the starter can apparently be relied apon.

On the other hand they're easy bikes to start and you save a lot of weight by dumping the starter motor.
Paul Compton
http://www.morini-mania.co.uk
http://www.youtube.com/user/EVguru
Misha

Post by Misha »

Don't know what shoes i got, do they have any markings? But they where new when i fitted them, they came as spare parts when i got the bike from Italy.

I got a mail today from another Morini-owner in Norway, he had read about my problem in my blog. He also had the same "problem", and tried different methods for the last 2 years, and got the same solution as you: a Odyssey battery. He had one in a Ducati Darmah, and he was very happy with this sollution in the Ducati. So he was trying to find a type pc680 to his own Morini here in Norway.

So i'll fix the battery first, and wait with the drilling :-)
1980 500 Sport