And still, I remain confused...

The 3 1/2 forum
funsize

And still, I remain confused...

Post by funsize »

Hello everyone, here's another borderline dumb musing as I DON'T go for a ride today due to tropical temperatures coupled with gale force wind gusts and heavy showers that appear and disappear without warning. I was helped muchly when i was advised that my initial running of both fuel taps was only necessary for hard riding, possibly motorway type trips also, which of course i try to avoid. i was further advised the right hand tap is really a reserve so my question is this, on my MK5 Strada with both taps mechanical, has anybody got any idea what the approximate range is when going onto reserve?
I ask because the blue book says the tank holds 12 litres with only 1.1 of that reserve but on the odd occasion I had to bring the right hand tap into play there seemed to be much more than 1.1 litre in it. I'm going to do a manual fill up calculation when the weather's a bit more reliable but would appreciate other members sharing their experiences, tank ranges, range before and after reserve etc. Cheers! :D
Steve Brown

Re: And still, I remain confused...

Post by Steve Brown »

You'll only find out if you do as you say and actually measure it. The amount left when you hit reserve depends on the height of the stand pipe inside the main tap. By now the chances are the tap has been replaced (ie your mechanical tap) and who knows what is there now. I sometimes have cut that pipe down a little as reserve was needed way too early. It's a trial and error thing, you could maybe drain the tank via the main tap into a jerry can. Then drain via the reserve tap into a container you can measure the amount left for emergency? At least that way you can estimate how far that number of litres will take you. Then you can worry about how your driving style will affect the range you have left-it's great fun honestly!
All donations to the rest home for old Camels, Leicestershire.
MickeyMoto

Post by MickeyMoto »

Fuel remaining at reserve is not a good indicator of range. How much can be used? The tank may not run dry before the fuel stops flowing. Also, do you really want to drain the bottom of the tank, it is probably full of crud which will block the filters on the taps and the carbs and some will find its way in to the float bowl.
Martha

Post by Martha »

I recently helped someone who needed to drain their tank. We drained the lhs using a pipe from the tap spigot into cans without apparent problem. We then connected the hose up to the rhs (reserve) tap and watched for fuel... nothing. Tried cycling the tap positions... still nothing, but there was clearly fuel sloshing about in the tank. Pondering the possibility of a blockage I gave it a godd lungful blowing back up the pipe. Sure enough, nothing happened other than I succeeded in getting redin the face. Another couple of long sustained blows back up the pipe and finally the sound of bubbling could be heard. We then drained about 1 litre from the reserve side before the flow dried up. There was still fuel in the tank, so we tipped the bike over onto its rhs and tried again. More came out, but not a great deal. Conclusion: Reserve was blocked and was probably of no use and both pipes were positioned such that accessing all the fuel in the rank would have been impossible. Moral of the saga; check and clean the tap filters and check their height, goodness knows when they were last cleaned!
funsize

Post by funsize »

Thanks for all the replies, I’m going to spend a day clocking both ‘tanks’ but as always, a great deal of relevant info, thanks 😊
Steve Brown

Post by Steve Brown »

MickeyMoto wrote: 10 Apr 2024 06:23 Fuel remaining at reserve is not a good indicator of range. How much can be used? The tank may not run dry before the fuel stops flowing. Also, do you really want to drain the bottom of the tank, it is probably full of crud which will block the filters on the taps and the carbs and some will find its way in to the float bowl.
If it can be drained from the reserve tap it can also still be supplying the carbs. So of course it is relevant! If the state of your tank is such that there is crud in the bottom it needs draining anyway, surely? Ref how far is possible on what remains available, that depends on how you ride :roll: and when I'm in that position I can ride very frugally if I don't know how far the next filling station is! Adds to the excitement and adventure too. I got home from a trail ride last weekend on my Camel. I had cause to empty the tank for maintenance afterwards and was shocked to find I had only 0.25 ltrs in there. Good job I decided to skip the last two lanes before home!
All donations to the rest home for old Camels, Leicestershire.