Tarozzi brake arm repair/replace

The 3 1/2 forum
robint

Tarozzi brake arm repair/replace

Post by robint »

So I managed to snap the brake arm when giving a particularly big kick to the starter pedal......snapped at the footrest support neatly in two..

Replacements are apparently unobtainable anywhere that shows them on the web. As they are 'standard' parts (at about £40) almost any kit will do for cannibalisation, assuming that one can be found, minimum of £150 for the universal kit.

Anyone had success in repairing (TIG welding presumably) any of the Tarozzi components before I go tracking down a local engineering/welding company.
robint
(Morini, Enfield, Deauville, SLK and home to support)
BumbleBee

Re: Tarozzi brake arm repair/replace

Post by BumbleBee »

Yes I've had mine broken and MIG welded in so many places there is almost as much weld as original aluminum. Start with just a little "V" preparation, then send it for welding. So when it comes back you can smooth it back to the original shape and add black paint so it doesn't look like it was ever broken.
I've only ever broken it from dropping the bike.
You've probably seen the usual solutions to the "kickstart hits the end of the brake lever" problem. Either doing something to the kickstart so it misses the brake lever, or making the end of the brake lever removable /fold up so it misses the kickstart. Without those the kickstart can't do the full swing that it was intended to do.

G&A
robint

Post by robint »

Thanks for that, have refitted the original footrests and brake/gear levers for the time being having boringly packed them up many years ago and labelled the bits 'in case'....... Will go welder hunting, will need some work as well on the adjustment holes afterwards as they seem a little less circular than they should be!
robint
(Morini, Enfield, Deauville, SLK and home to support)
Vitesse

Post by Vitesse »

I'll add a +1 to the, "They can be welded". When I bought mine it had clearly been dropped and the gear lever snapped. Previous owner had lost the broken bit and bolted the pedal to what was left. Okay for down changes but needed a size 2 foot to change up. Local man in shed rebuilt the whole thing. Maybe less important to you but measure the length that you want the pedal to end up as so that they know how much to add or subtract.
Last edited by Vitesse on 20 Mar 2024 09:03, edited 1 time in total.
julianharty

Post by julianharty »

My tarozzi brake lever arm was also successfully welded several times over the years/decades.
Vitesse

Post by Vitesse »

julianharty wrote: 19 Mar 2024 20:03 My tarozzi brake lever arm was also successfully welded several times over the years/decades.
That brings us to the next point - they are crap!
simonnorthroad

Post by simonnorthroad »

In the 500 group Jonny Pollard mooted getting some of these lazer cut in alloy. They are, like the Artesiani Morini rearsets back in the 80s made of something like digestive biscuit. If you look at his posting, I did suggest a few places that lazer-cut alloy motorbike parts. The Artesiani rearsets you used to be able to get were a much better and more elegant design. I had them replicated in stainless steel
julianharty

Post by julianharty »

simonnorthroad wrote: 20 Mar 2024 09:34 In the 500 group Jonny Pollard mooted getting some of these lazer cut in alloy. They are, like the Artesiani Morini rearsets back in the 80s made of something like digestive biscuit. If you look at his posting, I did suggest a few places that lazer-cut alloy motorbike parts. The Artesiani rearsets you used to be able to get were a much better and more elegant design. I had them replicated in stainless steel
Thank you very much for the apt description; I first broke a set in either 1982 or 1983 and more have broken over the years. I still have a set on my 501 engined 3 1/2 K sport which haven't broken recently, perhaps because I've not ridden it much recently since I'm mainly riding my Kanguro X and my New York - both are great bikes to ride and don't suffer from this issue :) BTW I do have another 3 1/2 sport which has one-off footrests where the LHS one folds forward so that the kickstart can be used without problems. It's a simple solution but means the footrests are about 6" further forward than the tarozzi ones.
Vitesse

Post by Vitesse »

julianharty wrote: 23 Mar 2024 17:30 BTW I do have another 3 1/2 sport which has one-off footrests where the LHS one folds forward so that the kickstart can be used without problems. It's a simple solution but means the footrests are about 6" further forward than the tarozzi ones.
Doesn't that put it back where the standard ones are? You'll be riding in the hairpin position!
julianharty

Post by julianharty »

Vitesse wrote: 25 Mar 2024 12:05
julianharty wrote: 23 Mar 2024 17:30 BTW I do have another 3 1/2 sport which has one-off footrests where the LHS one folds forward so that the kickstart can be used without problems. It's a simple solution but means the footrests are about 6" further forward than the tarozzi ones.
Doesn't that put it back where the standard ones are? You'll be riding in the hairpin position!
No, the footrests are in line with the mounting bolt, rather than being forward of that position. So they're roughly midway between tarozzi and standard footrests. I'll see if I can add a photo to this thread shortly to make the position more visible.